Squidding 8-5

Travis

Travis wrote:

The small one was last caught... they had shut down with the tide nearing the bottom, they were hanging around but avoiding the jigs.... so i netted it :laugh:

Hey Travis, is it best on the dropping tide? I always see them on the high tide. Might have to have a go at them this season.

Stewie.

stewie where i get them the tide needs to be half in at least... so i get them in the last 1/3in and first 1/3 out, then its home time... i dont bother just throwing the jig out i wait till can see then and sight cast for them

hooked i strip them up, marinade in butter crushed garlic and lemon juice over night, the lemon half cooks them while theyre marinading then a quick 20-30 sec in a hot pan

qbkami wrote:

The milk process also takes the smell off the squid too

Wouldnt the milk thing taking the smell away stuff with the flavour then?? i like then how they are if you dont like it get the frozen coles crap lol :laugh:

same place as last time brad.......

For those of you who know how good i am with electronics and water.... did another TWO!! mobile phones today.... work phone and my phone went thru the washing maching :laugh: wasnt even fishing!!

been doing alot of experimenting/ researching with making Tigers 'softer' lately.

i have found that freezing them first (sounds wrong i know to freeze fresh seafood however) then cleaning, then a very tight score (x-cross pattern) on the inside of the tube, then 1-2 teaspoons of Baking Powder and leaving for at least 24 hours.

makes an amazing difference. ps Of course keep the front tenticles and wings they are brilliant unless you're trying to turn them into Jewie fillets ! ;)

jeff f wrote: i feel your pain davo

its sucks bro .

would be nice to be only 1/2 a hr away from the bay ,so could just cruse down to a jetty for some squid or a lazy land based fish or just a wander /look about .

one gets sick of the upper/middle river its nice and ok ,but its not the same as the bay or a river mouth at the bay.

i got goodna boat ramp 10/15 min away ,but catching toxic catfish /bream /pike etc get boring fast ,still better than nothing .

worse than the fish is some of the feral's that hang around the boat ramp ,i'll leave it at that .

sweresy wrote:

been doing alot of experimenting/ researching with making Tigers 'softer' lately.

i have found that freezing them first (sounds wrong i know to freeze fresh seafood however) then cleaning, then a very tight score (x-cross pattern) on the inside of the tube, then 1-2 teaspoons of Baking Powder and leaving for at least 24 hours.

makes an amazing difference. ps Of course keep the front tenticles and wings they are brilliant unless you're trying to turn them into Jewie fillets ! ;)

I freeze them too, also i eat the heads.... gus recomended it tho the eye is a bit crunchy lol

Travis wrote:

jeff f wrote:
Davo_Dinkum wrote:
i would just pop down to .

if the water and everywhere wasn't so far away.

i feel your pain davo

Maybe next long weekend you can make it to the coast davo :laugh:

hehe

june /july school holidays we are doing somerset ,should be good .

used to live down a lindum in my early 20's was good ,down to the bay in 10 mins .

i had a ball down there ,late night walks to the beach .

assorted fun and games ,even used to fish sometimes .

Travis wrote:

stewie where i get them the tide needs to be half in at least... so i get them in the last 1/3in and first 1/3 out, then its home time... i dont bother just throwing the jig out i wait till can see then and sight cast for them

hooked i strip them up, marinade in butter crushed garlic and lemon juice over night, the lemon half cooks them while theyre marinading then a quick 20-30 sec in a hot pan

Thanks Travis.

Archived