Brissy mouth - mixed reef for tea

Old Scaley

Hi All

Congrats to those who braved the cold and competed in the MBC. Looks like some nice fish caught.

I could only fish today because of other commitments so hit the mouth for the last hour of the run in and first hour of the run out. Looks like being a good snapper season, I caught about 6 today with the biggest being 38cm and the rest about 34cm. Also caught a 45cm cod on my surf rod and alvey (I like to use it for bream if I am on my own in the boat) with a strip of squid on a size 1 hook :P:P . Tried a few plastics and an ecogear vibe lure but no luck today. I forgot the camera so took a shot of the keepers when I got home. Sorry for the ordinary photography.

Steve P1000316_AFO.jpg

hey mate, really quick tip. cod are much better eating if bled upon capture. they also are deemed a rocky reef fin fish and must have one of the pectoral fins removed if being kept.

nice captures for the river though for sure! am yet to pull a legal cod from there!

benno573 wrote:

hey mate, really quick tip. cod are much better eating if bled upon capture. they also are deemed a rocky reef fin fish and must have one of the pectoral fins removed if being kept.

nice captures for the river though for sure! am yet to pull a legal cod from there!

Hey mate just wondering what fish are better bled before eating? i don't know the list :P

there are quite a few that are better bled, some of them are as below.

sorry for the hijack, was just answering the man's question!!! :blush:

any pelagics (mackeral, tuna, tailor, trevally, kingfish etc - a must to bleed these)

snapper

cod

slatey bream

large bream

all sharks

mangrove jack

most other reef fish - especially after a prolonged fight

the reason for bleeding fish is to release the blood which after a fight contains lactic acid which can lead to the flesh spoiling. brain spiking is a similar way to do this as it "kills" the fish but allows the heart to keep beating, hence lactic acid is released - but this is a true art form and very hit and miss if you don't know how to do it. the japanese use this method on blue fin tuna - they have a really long word for it starting with i.

in most commonly encountered fish, the lactic acid comes from the "white" flesh (the bit in the fillet that is anaerobic muscle - i.e not well supplied with oxygen). this leads to a greater and faster build up of lactic acid, hence fish tend to fight in bursts and eventually they wear out, generally quite quickly.

things like tuna and tailor where the flesh is darker have a greater percentage of the muscle supplied with oxygen, hence the fights can last seemingly for ever as they wear out less quickly. however, by the time you do land your fish the lactic acid will have built up and does need to be released. as there is a greater blood supply to all the muscle, the spoilage rate of this flesh if far faster than in white flesh fish.

a lot of fish can be eaten not bled, but if you want the absolute best from your catch, bleed the above species upon capture by cutting the throat latch at the base of the gills, be careful to avoid puncturing the heart.

hope this is helpful in some way!

Cheers,

Benno

benno573 wrote:

Thanks for the tip, benno. I always bleed the oily fish, but will try bleeding the snapper & cod as well. I reckon if it can taste better than it did on Sunday night as crumbed cod & chips with a nice garden salad, it will be pretty damn good! Probably should kill the cod straight away anyway, cos they do take a long time to die in an esky compared to other species, even in an ice bath (hope that didn't offend too many viewers).

Old Scaley wrote:

benno573 wrote:

Thanks for the tip, benno. I always bleed the oily fish, but will try bleeding the snapper & cod as well. I reckon if it can taste better than it did on Sunday night as crumbed cod & chips with a nice garden salad, it will be pretty damn good! Probably should kill the cod straight away anyway, cos they do take a long time to die in an esky compared to other species, even in an ice bath (hope that didn't offend too many viewers).

yeah they do hey. if you bleed them into a bucket and then break the neck they die pretty quick... sorry to the vego's.... :P check the regs on finning too mate... expensive fine. waste of time but expensive all the time...

Nice couple of keepers

Haven't managed a cod yet - but have got a couple of tailor and schoolies.

I think Japanese call fish spiking Ikijime [push as pike just above the eyes in a soft part of the head and forward at about 30 degrees - fish should shudder and then relax if you get it right - some think is better than bleeding?]

Archived