Sí, no tenemos ningún Caballa Español, hoy en día.

kreel

Sí, no tenemos ningún Caballa Español, hoy en día. 18 de Mayo 2010 - or as we say at my place: "Yes, we have no Spanish Mackeral, today. 18 May 2010".

Tugger and I were joined by Ashhley for our latest expedition to Boat Rock and as the title suggests we came away for the first time in a number of weeks without a Spaniard. We did however have another successful trip. We met at the ramp at a gentlemanly 5am for what was a pleasant and calm trip to the Rock. Our bar crossing was so calm as to be a non-event.

[br] P1050540.jpg

Forecasts had us expecting rocking seas, a stiff breeze and showers for the day, the reality was far from this with an almost gentle rocking of the boat under clear skies and a gentle breeze. Boat Rock was as majestic as usual and the current was ambling by at first which allowed us to drop baits almost directly below the boat on lead the size of small peas. We moved only once in the day as we suspected that the bigger fish might be holding a little further east of the rock.

[br] P1050539.jpg

We decided to handicap Ashhley as he has access to all the tackle in the world from his work and due to his extensive fishing career in Hervey Bay - we made him use a noodle rod and gave him small pieces of plastic that in a blurred delirium could be misconstrued as fish. He was undeterred and vowed to fight the good fight no matter what we threw at him. He remained the quiet achiever all day, valiantly using plastics, lucanus jigs, blades and any scientifically designed fishing magic he could pull from his bag of tricks.

[br] P1050545.jpg

Tugger and I relied on dead fish, or to be more precise Pillies to make a dint on the fish population. We have in the past been fortunate to pull on board as many Trevally as we needed for bait. Today we found the going more difficult with only two of the species gracing our lines in the first hour or so. Straight onto a jig and under a balloon they went, no sooner had they been set adrift when nothing at all happened, so we waited and soon nothing continued to happen. On to the Snapper fishing, which took a little while, we had to contend with all the vermin climbing on our bait sometimes 2 at a time.

[br] P1050542.jpg

I redeemed my average performance on the Snapper front today bringing in the first three snaps before the lads could get on the board. Average sizes for the day were in the high 30s, the largest hitting the 43cm mark. This is the first of my snapper on board.

[br] P1050543.jpg

I was feeling pretty chuffed with myself having boated a few fish when Tugg decide to pull rank and let me know just how to fish, and with no effort at all landed a beautiful 53 cm Parrot Fish/Tuskie. Here you see the fish and Tugger in his witness protection gear.

[br] P1050544.jpg

Tugger always manages to put on a show, one time he had the RAAF guys fly over head at tree-top level in their FA-18s and this time he arranged for a pod of Pilot Whales to swim around us for a mid-morning matinee. Very thoughtful and it did keep us entertained.

[br] P1050547.jpg

As I said there was little to do with the livies we had floating out back all day, however we did manage 1 unstoppable - no photo - it was... unstoppable, and we were all a bit excited when Tugg had a solid fight with what we all hoped would be a Kingie or something as tasty when up came a decent sized Mack Tuna (no photo - it looks like a... Mack Tuna)

With the esky filling and from recent experience we were confident to bag out so at 12 in the esky - Tugg and I landed two 35+ models we decided to throw them back and replace them with something more epic.

[br] P1050551.jpg

With dwindling supplies of pillies we knew we would have to cut up the Macky, the next snap was about 38cm and then... the pillies ran out the tuna was dwindling and then with 2 more snaps to make a bag we decided... bugga this and set off for shore.

[br] P1050550.jpg

Many thanks to Tugger for his skillful Skippering yet again and to Ashhley for his good company and for not showing me up too badly in the fishing stakes.

[br] P1050554.jpg

I would now call on Tugger and Ashhley to add all the important information my aging brain has failed to remember. I prefer to write unimpeded by the truth and to try to make the reading more colourful by its absence.

kreel wrote:

I redeemed my average performance on the Snapper front today bringing in the first three snaps before the lads could get on the board. Average sizes for the day were in the high 30s, the largest hitting the 43cm mark. This is the first of my snapper on board.

[br] P1050543.jpg

Is that really a snapper?

It looks like a Morwong or something.

nice tuskie tugger! when you were gathering live bait at the mbc mickfillet told us to rub up against your boat to get some mackeral mojo :laugh: we may have stolen all the mojo, might have to head out soon to see if it paid off lol ;) might land my first spaniard :silly:

Thanks for the kind words fellas. It's always a pleasure writing a report after a Boat Rock trip.

hoTrout: Definately a Snapper, just a trick of the light - if you look at the pic of the final haul you'll notice the Snaps all look the same.

Scope: I dream of the day when my anchorboy duties consist of pressing a small button. Sorry I didn't write up our MBC adventures but I lacked the photos (being old I rely on the pics to flesh out my memory and help me write better lies), Merv did a fantastic job though - ROTM standard me thinks.

Wesfish: Mick rubbed up against the wrong thing - Tugger's got all the mojo mate and rubbing up against him might look a bit suss. :laugh: B)

i'd like to thank ash and bayden for coming out with me and helping out for the day they were good chaps from start to finish with adding to the tally, cleaning the gear and filleting fish at the end. the day was a cracker with the bar being flat a good sign for the rest of the day with the wind not getting above 5 knots till midday and the forecast showers not happening at all. i had lost a big fish on the reef while floatling then rerig and hooking the tuskie on the very next drop and the only livie taken under the float was hit hard and after ashhley had a dogged fight with an unknown fish it was taken to the reef as well. 1 of the best days for weather i've experienced out there for a while and the pilot whales turning up and swimming around us for half an hour made it a awesome trip. the whales got so close to us at times you could see the baby swimming with its mother and leaping clear out of the water close to the boat. these criters grow to 1.5ton as females and 3 ton as males and eat squid only which is why they are about now with the squid season upon us. hope to do a heap of trips over winter with the water temp dropping the reefies will definately come out to play. bring on that winter weather now

:fishing:

ryno1983: Un barco lleno de pargo es agradable, pero un estómago lleno de pargo es aún mejor. Gracias a Dios por Babelfish no puedo hablar una palabra de español

Damien2Rad: Mr Kreel... I like the sound of that, much better than the other names I am usually called.

snapper king after this day mate

kreel wrote:

ryno1983: Un barco lleno de pargo es agradable, pero un estómago lleno de pargo es aún mejor. Gracias a Dios por Babelfish no puedo hablar una palabra de español

Damien2Rad: Mr Kreel... I like the sound of that, much better than the other names I am usually called.

during winter when the weather permits i'm going to do overnighters out there brad and just come back and camp behind shag rock where it's sheltered so i can hit the reef for the bite at dusk and dawn and not have to wait to get enough light to cross the bar

straddiebrad wrote:

well done fellars great feed as per norm bring on winter too i think mark,maybe a few weekends at amity are on the cards,great read to kreel keep them coming.brad

Archived