Tinny creek yak session

Aaron H

Well after getting home this arvo and not satisfied with catching spanglies decided to take yak to Tinny creek.

After dragging it down through the park from the car (Not that easy its a bit of a drop down to wear I fish) I realised I left my lures at home (After Loz's catch was keen to throw some lures especially in under the lure) But I was lucky I had the baitfishing box still in the car and a loaf of bread. Paddled out and berleyed up and in no time was into mullet and bream. Now this is where all hell broke loose trying to land a 45-50cm mullet in a yak was not that easy for a beginner, but after some perserverance had a couple of nice ones in the fishkeeper bag. This is when I had the absolute s**t scared out of me. Anyway, I wanted to keep the mullet fresh I put them in the keeper bag and let it float in the water. Imagine my amazement when I turn around and there is a metre long eel splashing around trying to get at the mullet. After smacking it a couple of times with the oar I decided it was time to head back to land as it was starting to get towards dark. I kept fishing of the bank for a bit catching a heap of undersized bream, more mullet and only one Tilapia. Maybe we are winning the fight in that creek cause I normally catch ten tilapia to one of everything else (or maybe the cooler weather is slowing them down. I rather be an optimist though:)

[img size=495]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCF0239.JPG

Post edited by: Aaron H, at: 2007/04/18 20:16

post-266-144598412153_thumb.jpg

I don't think there is bullies in there, a couple of really shallow crossings I doubt they would get through. Wouldn't dangle the fish of the back in known shark spots (to tell you the truth probably wouldn't go in the yak in known shark spots. Far to cowardly:laugh: )

Brian,

a bit more effort than putting around with the electric thats for sure. It will give me some good access into tighter spots I cant get the boat to or access by foot. Now I just have to figure out how to mount the motor so I dont have to bloody paddle :laugh:

The 54lb thrust will get it moving:evil:

Post edited by: Aaron H, at: 2007/04/18 21:50

Aaron H wrote:

I don't think there is bullies in there, a couple of really shallow crossings I doubt they would get through. Wouldn't dangle the fish of the back in known shark spots (to tell you the truth probably wouldn't go in the yak in known shark spots. Far to cowardly:laugh: )

shallower than colleges? that gets to about a foot in a really low tide (and it's definitely tidal)

nice work aaron..you will have fighting fish in the yak down pat in no time mate....as i was reading ya report i thought you were gunna say a bully was at the back of the yak eating ya fish bag...funny stuff...:lol:

its weird see the old girl in someone elses post:S

a yak will get ya to some hard to get places thats for sure;)

James,

Whats the secret to landing fish do u use a small landing net?

Thinking that might be the go cause I had the mullet jump and swim under the kayak at least five times till I grabbed him by the gills. Would have been a funny site for someone to watch :blush:

feral-:lol:

aaron- mate to tell ys the truth, i dont own a net:S i just play the fish right out till its well and truly given up then lip em or use the comfort lift depending if there are teeth involved...mind you, have never had a mullet beside the yak before thou..that would be fun:)

there are times i wish i had a net thou..losing flathead up around the 100cm mark is heartbraking..happened twice last year:(

OK Jimmy - Aaron has caught 5 fish with your ex- how many more does he have to catch to bring it up to speed with yours:P :P :P :(

Maybe you got some old photos you could post for some inspiration for him - just to let him know how much work he has yet to do to honour the craft.:woohoo: :evil:

Its interesting you blokes catching stuff around the oyster leases. Obviously oyster lease owners are not quiet so \"ecentric\" as they used to be.

When I was younger you would not have been game to go near an oyster lease. If you were lucky you have had a shotgun under your nose, if not so lucky, you would just hope it was loaded with birdshot and not buckshot!

AAArgh!

There goes my monopoly on the tinny creek kayak pillage!

There are still tilapia in there, a couple of spots are more productive than others.

I have been on the mission to land that big bass that got away on the last few trips.

All it will take is a decent downpour and the dam to be opened and our feral fish will be well and truly re stocked again.

I was reading on an aquaculture site from overseas that the tilapia will grow 10cm a month in the ponds.

My fish usually grow 10cm. per story!

Anyhow, I'm going to go down there this afternoon for a paddle and see whats biting or not. The first time I ever went paddling there, the tilapia were coming in as fast as you could cast out and they were normally all bigguns too!

Might see you there.

Yep, know the spot, I got the biggest one at the wall, it would have been about 25-30. Fought like a mutha, it was good on my tilapia line I only use 4lb to make it a bit more fun, that strtch has a fair bit of bottom debris and a couple of steep holes, just use ur paddle as a depth gauge as you go along.

Well today was fairly dismal, only 3 tilapia, 2 littlies and a big one, 5 fork tail cats, one nice size eel tail and millions of bream.

I put the eel tail back for you, was gettin dark and could'nt be foobahed skinning it tonite after lugging the yaks back up the cliff!

I have noticed the tilapia action hots up after rain as well, they are full of the green crap that washes off the dam wall, but now there seems to be bugger all at the wall, mostly in the shallow areas where the water is probably a bit warmer.

I have gotten bulk from downstream in the pools around the dog track as well.

I was talking to my mate and the next yak we want to put in at capalaba and paddle to the mouth, just have a car at each end, we'll time it for the runout tide, should take about 6 or7 hours with random fish stops, should be plenty of basses:dry: in snags along the way.

They could be, though, if there was one there I reckon he'd be got by now, I have seen the tide well and truly up the sandstone rocks on the little cliff there, giving easy access past the obstacles downstream when the water is that high. I know there are muddies in there but nothing in great numbers, down behind the golf course I reckon would be good.

I'll be moving around the reaches a bit more now the easy pickings of tilapia have thinned out, back to hunting cod down the more saline reaches and there are a few juicy looking spots I have seen down reddy bay way too that look nice and quiet.

Archived