A Day of Firsts

rosstralia46

Woke up at 5 30am and got ready for a 6 30 pick up from a mate and the plan was to take his two seater kayak to Cottage Point and the plan was to fish around Tabby Tabby Island to hopefully get a good feed of bream.

We got to the boat ramp by about 7 15 and we had launched the yak a bit after 7 30 i was absolutely super excited as this was my first time ever in a kayak going fishing :woohoo:

We hopped in the yak and I was sure we were not going to Tabby Tabby but actually a little island of Kangaroo Island but being a good deckie didn't say anything ;) We got to out first spot which was extremely shallow and after a while of casting small hbs it was decided we would leave so we went round the corner into a little bay where i decided to tie on a little clear rebel popa and had a swirl behind it then a few casts later it took it only for me to miss it :angry: we moved down through this little bay where i was still throwing my little popa right along the mangrove line an i cast towards the base of a mangrove tree did 4 pops and a pause then slurp :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: i wound up the slack set the hook and i was on for my first lure caught bream it fought well and i brought it up besdie the yak and swiftly scooped him up in my net. I was rapped i had finally cracked a bream on a lure and measured 29cm to the fork and was put in the esky as mum was exspecting a feed for dinner.

I gave my mate a popper to try and me and him kept moving spots and flicking out the poppers before his one got slurped and he striked but actually pulled it out of the fishes mouth and he was not happy :angry::angry: i caught a minescule little bream on a piece of pipi and we kept at that spot for a while then we made our way up along side tabby tabby island on a sandbar. He was using the rest of his bait and I was casting out my 4 dollar big W outback lure for around an hour about 180 degrees from where i was when i cast straight out in front which i had done about 20 times in that exact same spot and i was winding it and gave it a flick then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg it took off with the current with a couple of good big headshakes had me hoping my first ever legal flatty and by the way it was going a bloody good one at that :woohoo: :laugh: . Then finally got his head turned and was trying to swim him up the current and whenever he got close to the yak he took off taking plenty of lie it took me about 10 attempts because every time he got close he took off then finally got him into the net a quick measure and a look on the scles saw me with a 60cm 2 kilo flatty my first ever legal and first on a hb. We paddled off the sandabar which had only a foot of water over it an headed back to the boatramp.

We finished the day at 2 o clock with me having a 29cm fork bream 60cm flatty which will both be dinner tonight :woohoo: :laugh: and my mate got nothing :( ohh well good excuse to go out again and cant wait when i do i am hooked on yak fishing annd will definitely be getting one in the future

thanks for reading guys

The Breambo

011.jpg

Me and Dinner

012.jpg

The End Result

015.jpg

Archived