fishn off moreton

mackmauler

met dom at the ramp yesterday before sunrise, there was bugger all wind so we had a good ride out, seeing my blue fishing has been more hit than miss I decided to spend the first few hours chasing smaller game, in great conditions the 50 fathom reefs were easily fished resulting in some good perlies, a few kingies hooked up and we ran over a school of dolphinfish/mahi, it was a top few hours fun, doms first dolfin ate a laser slug which is not a percentage play as they leap and throw weighted lures most times, this one performed like a beauty and stayed connected to my surprise, a nice one nailed my bait a little bigger (106cm) and a few smaller fish were caught, the pics never do them justice the colours seem to blend, must get a better camera one day.

back to plan a, ran another hr to the shelf dropped all the lures out and we waited and waited for next 4 hours as the boat chugged along at 7 knots, nothing happened again, though dom can tell you about his first tuna, :lol:

jordan how was work? we were thinkin about ya:laugh: dom you were a champion to have onboard, look forward to another trip mate. [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/fdmtone_018-bf27389110499fb2bac981bcf69304c0.jpg

post-880-144598412431_thumb.jpg

Awesome report.

And good on you Dom for answering a \"Going Fishing\" post.

Thats in the true spirit of the site.

Great fish guys and awesome photo's.

I think Jordan will be cutting his wrists about now :P

Mate next time i think i might just have to pull a sicky :P

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/04/24 11:16

hooooooooooly shiiiit, that is not cool. im having the biggest sulk right now... fellahs that is absoloutley incredible, needless to say u had an amazing time. far out im gonna be in a great mood for work today...i have to keep this reply PG rated, so ill leave it at a verrrrrryy well done fellahs.

What can I say but a huge thanks to Mackmauler.:cheer:

I haven't had that much fun for years. The conditions were absolutely superb with not a puff of wind all day. It was an absolute blast to catch my first dolphinfish. Nailing it on a lure on the first cast made it all the better. It went a lot longer and harder than the threadfin I recently caught eventhough it was only half the weight. It was amazing you could see several dolhinfish at anyone time going under the boat like torpedoes. When we switched to live slimies and yakkas they were smashing the bait half a meter away from the idling motor.:blink: If one wanted to get greedy yo could catch them all day long. I never new fishing could get this good.

Next came fishing for pearlies. Rob motored over a reef in about 100m of water and found some fish on the sounder. He said \"There's some pearlies down there.\" and sure has hell a few minutes later he was pulling up three in one hit. Amazing.:woohoo: On another drop he nailed a pearly and the kingfish in one drop. I had a go at bottom bashing without too much luck. Didn't really know what I was doing and didn't realise deep sea fishing required that much skill. Later on in the day I did get my first pearly and hooked on to something big and fast (probably kingfish) on the same drop. I got busted off but still managed to bring up the pearly.

After that we went further offshore chasing marlin. We cam across a few schools of stripey tuna going crazy. A flick of the slug and I was on again. I got the fish which was about 2 or 3 kilos within a few meters of the boat and it let go. @#$%! The funny thing is it didn't spit the treble but I had hooked it by the eyeball. My laser came out with just a big eyeball hanging off it.:ohmy: :blink: Poor thing I felt a bit bad. So no fish of the month submission from me.

We didn't get back to Cleveland till 7:30pm. A long but action packed day. 14.5 hours on the water. Rob's boat was a brilliant offshore fishing setup and combined with his expert boating and fishing skills easily handled the conditions in complete safety.

It was a real privilege to be taken on this trip and it has really given me a new passion to pursue fishing to a wholoe new level. I can't wait to get a boat and will get one as soon as I can afford it.

Thanks again:cheer:

Hey guys,

First post on here, so be gentle :)

Firstly, that looks like an awesome days fishing, congrats!!

A more general question, what class of gear were you using out there?? Looks like relatively light spinngin gear for the pelagics??

Braid or Mono??

I've just got my first boat, so I'm working up to chasing the bigger species....I've mainly fished the estuaries as a kid, although I have a done a couple of trips outside years ago.

Congrats again,

Tim

Wokket: Welcome to the site mate. Hope you learn and contribute heaps.

In regards to yuor question i wont hijack the thread as i wasnt there. The guys on the boat will have to answer the specifics.

But on a general note, spinning gear has been through remarkable advances. Seemingly light looking gear can handle serious fish.

If you see some of the fish they pull of the reef jigging with Shimano Stellas etc its amazing.

Cheers.

Angus

P.S. Mackmauler what class braid do you use for fish of that calibre?

Angus

P.P.S \"Free Mahi Mahi: To much Bio Dome for you Travis\" :P

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/04/26 12:08

for the spinning 6-10 gear is a good allrounder, it really comes down to your budget, braid casts further than mono but more quality fish will escape due to pulled hooks, mostly I prefer mono about 8kg.

braid makes fishing water over 80m a lot easier as far as feeling bites goes but even at that depth a 5m mono shock leader will result in a lot less pulled hooks.

most guys catching large fish offshore prefer mono or a combination of long wind on mono traces which is the best of both.

Thanks mate.

Yeah i always use a long mono trace myself. I find it helps for numerous reason.

Bit of stretch, less visible, and when you change you lures fast and often like me it helps to have a long leader as i am contantly trimming small ammounts off in the form of the loop knot :P

I have always heard that Dolphin Fish congregate around structure such as debri flows, markers, bouys etc. Do you usually look for these things when searching for them?

Angus

Archived