What can I expect from a boat dealer?

Eug

Bought my boat brand new 1 year ago from a boat dealer. At the time had a sounder and two rod holders installed.

The boat is meticulously washed with warm soapy fresh water after every trip. I've just noticed that bubbling has begun to occur under the sounder mount and rod holders. Now being a runabout I can understand that some oxidation may occur on the rod holders, however the sounder is completely protected and is not exposed to salt water (salty air yes).

Now is it too much for me to assume that duralac should be applied by the dealer after cutting and drilling? I am now forking out to get it fixed and it's not cheap. Should I be paying?

mate its the difference between some one doing a job and actually caring about the job their doing in my opinion, simple things like applying anti sieze to bolts or thread locker to bolts that may loose tenion from vibration etc, cleaning all swarf out after drilling etc and applyin paint or rust preventitive but its the old "not my boat" attitude that prevails and care is lost. i reckon you have an arguement to make but im pretty padantic when i work on anything

we are going through discussions now i've asked if duralac was applied during installation, no reply as of yet.

i agree with you there kriso, i take pride in my work whether it belongs to me or not. simple things like you've mentioned i would assume to be standard practice. hence my reason for my post, is it standard practice in the industry?

yeah the current word is that i'm paying for all the repair costs, however i still haven't recieved a response as to whether duralac (or something similar) was applied upon installation.

judging by the replies that i'm not stepping out of line by requesting them to foot the repair bills? the boat is still imaculate as i look after it extremely well and would like to keep it that way.

just called, i'm going to have to come in on the weekend as the main guy can't answer my questions. i was basically told in a roundabout way that it's not covered under warranty and it's 'expected'. is it worth chasing up or just cop it and move on?

when you have anything repaired/ done in a workshop their is always a portion on the bill called sundry's or workshop consumables, this fee covers any grease , spray lubricants , rust inhibitors used to do the job, unfortunatley very rarely do these items ever make it on the vehicle itself and is just a bill top up. i would ask to see the internal workshop invoice and i bet there is a fee on there - then ask so if this was charged out what happened to the product ? if they say its for grease etc ask why was that part missed while other parts done?? the old saying in retail business "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" speak up mate and dont be scared to skip who ever your dealing with and get the owner / dealer principle in on the complaint. my arguement is if no where else has corroded on the boat your obvisouly washing / maintaining it correctly so why has this one area that they have drilled/ put screws through corroded? also where high quality stainless fasteners used?

totally agree on a number of points you made kriso, i've always wondered if those environmental fees and disposal fees were legitimate. my invoice only had boat + motor package and a single total cost.

the reason why i went to this dealer for intial purchase was due to all the good comments across various forums.

unfortunatley rivets were used to secure the items, a whole was cut out in the dash to feed the sounder cables through and it appears a little piece of plastic tubing was cut length ways to 'seal' the cut.

i believe i'm already speaking to the main guy in charge, however he can't answer me whether duralac was used or not and has asked me to speak with one of the workmen.

i can tell you now there isnt anything on there, cause if there was or it was applied properly you wouldnt have the problem your having, best thing when there throwing you about on the phone is to go down there ask reception who the dealer principle is and grab him and take him on and dont let him pass you on to someone else as he's the one who decides who is paying for it. dont loose the plot in the middle of the show room but dont back down on your arguement either.

i have worked for major dealer networks both in sales and service for a long time now so sorta learnt how to win a agruement when it comes to this stuff hahaha

Very easy to see if duralac has been used. Since its a gooey yellow paste that never fully dries out there should be evidence of it on screw threads.

The boat is still clearly under warranty so tell them to fix it or else.

Very cheap and easy for you to take any disputes up to $7000 in value to the small claims court. Will cost you nothing apart from a lodgement fee and there is no legal representation required or allowed so it makes it nice, cheap and simple.

Once that has been resolved feel free to bag the sh!t out of the dealer in question as it not defamation if its in the publics innterest. I consider it to be in the publics interest to know about cowboys who don't fix their mistakes and shody workmanship.

3 times I have made a claim in the tribunal, and not once did we make it to the hearing. The other side wanted to resolve it all of a sudden. Once a ruling is given in the tribunal, you can shout it from the rooftop, like Dom said, and they can't do a thing about it. Best part of a ruling is, you can ask for someone else to do the repair and have the shonk pick up the bill

kriso wrote:

i can tell you now there isnt anything on there, cause if there was or it was applied properly you wouldnt have the problem your having, best thing when there throwing you about on the phone is to go down there ask reception who the dealer principle is and grab him and take him on and dont let him pass you on to someone else as he's the one who decides who is paying for it. dont loose the plot in the middle of the show room but dont back down on your arguement either.

i have worked for major dealer networks both in sales and service for a long time now so sorta learnt how to win a agruement when it comes to this stuff hahaha

My guess is this approach will work for you and won't have to worry about tribunals ect

hi all i agree. i would like to resolve it in house first as you can always be civilised and polite before putting the foot down, but not vice versa.

i appreciate all the advice given and took it on board. i'm happy to say that we've reached a resolution and the dealer has come to the party and offered "as a measure of goodwill" to repair and paint at their expense.

cheers all for your help!

No mate didn't push it any further to find out, I would have thought that none was applied considering how pedantic I am when it comes to washing after a trip out. Also I did not notice anything like what dhess has mentioned.

Other mounts for the bimini, anchor light, etc. appear fine so I think it was just an isolated incident.

Unfortunately Duralac isn't always a perfect cure for corrosion around screws and rivets. There are a few other factors that will have an effect. Paint prep and the paints used are one of the biggest culprits. Some manufacturers use straight base coat without an etch primer and often the paint will lift around drilled holes and allow water to sit between the paint and metal. Also the heat that comes with drilling holes can also delaminate the paint and give the same issue. If there is anywhere that water can get two between the boat and the fitting then you will get corrosion there as well. Have seen quite a few boats that have had corrosion even where Duralac or Lanolin grease had been used.

Good to see the dealer came up with a satisfactory solution for you Eug.

Archived