Viet Inspired Soups...

Angus

Pictured below is a seafood one I did a while ago.

Tonight I am trying a beef one. Stay tuned.

Biggest tip I have learnt from trial and error is this:

Unlike typical European style soups and stews, the SE Asian style ones seem much much better if you wait till the last minute to add the meat and even give the meat its own flavour. For example the one pictureds, the broth was left to cook down for ages giving a good flavour. Then the fresh seafood was coated in fried shallot, shallow fried and added later. Awesome taste comparisson.

Also I find it better to create the broth from just the core ingrediants required and add extra flavours like chilli, herbs, lemon as a side option. I love this technique and Its one of my fouvourite thing about good old school Asian restaurants. After all everyones pallet is sooooooo different when it comes to these things.

Tonight ill be trying a really basic chicken,onion and ginger broth. To this ill be adding rare, thin slices of beef coated in a peanut dusting, chilli, rice noodle, bean sprouts and broccolini.

Stay tuned!

. 5976_250544195191_733775191_8338383_4322569_n.jpg

sunnydays wrote:

I would sear (very hot grill/pan) the beef fillet very quickly.... then dust the WHOLE COOKED fillet in crushed peanuts, rock salt and sugar. Then slice it into strips and add ontop of the stock upon serving!

my two cents! :)

I like the whole beef idea.

Not tradiontional but meh. This is all about interpretation.

Ill see (and so will everyone in a couple of hours) how it goes!

Angus

kiwifisho wrote:

Look out for Angus in the next series of Master Chef :)

kiwi ;)

No master Chef mate. Cant stand recipes. Like to wing it for better or worse.

I do love to cook though. I used to work in kitchens while I was studying and travelling Scotland. Learnt a lot. But really enjoy it more now as I just cook for friends and family.

Angus

By the way the beef went very well.

Learnt some more very important things by accident as well.

I love rare meat so I was not worried, but I thought when I first cut the beef up it might be to rare for some people who dont appreciate good sirloin. Howeverm a word of advice, make sure you heavily undercook the beef if you are adding to a hot broth!!!

By the time I got to the last peices they were quite well done as they had continued cooking in the broth.

. beef.jpg

Also I put this down as the broth I have made (next time ill start from scratch with bones as well as opposed to cheating and using bought stock).

I think this is becuase I "Julienned" (cut very very finly) the ginger and carrot. This caused the flavours to spread perfectly through the broth while not leaving stringy bits of ginger while eating. :) Also saving the extra flavours (chilli, basil, lemon, coriander) meant the broth remained "pure" and not over fussy.

Picture: Note the very thing bits of ginger in comparisson to say the onion.

. core.jpg

51MPL wrote:

Nice try Gus, i'll have to show you some 'real' viet soup sometime? :P

Jokes, looks good hey i'd give it a try =]

Normally we dont cook the meat beforehand, just put it into the soup and the broth will cook it

Yeah I realise that. However, I opted for a "thicker" slab of steak as opposed to shaved beef. Therefore it could have been a bit much just dropping it in. Plus you get the best of both worlds this way. The flavours and fish sauce in the nuts sort of caramalises while being seared and then the broth infuses and finishes the cooking when you drop the meat in.

Glad you "somewhat" approve. :P

Bare in mind I sad from the start this is "Viet INSPIRED" and does in fact bare little similarities to a traditional soup at all!

Angus

Archived