Help!

katfish

hey all. left work tonight, high pitched whine come from somewhere under the car. just had gearbox/transfer case oil replaced before trip.the servo mechanic found what he described as sludgy rubber on the transfer case sump plug, & said to keep an eye on it, what ever that means. :huh: only happens when accelerating.

my question is; does anybody know a reputable mechanic that will come to my house to diagnose the problem. I dont want to drive it, as I may cause more damage.

any help would be greatly appreciated. cheers

looked like rubber mixed with oil on the transfer case plug, gearbox oil was clean, but replaced, transfer case oil was cloudy/dirty, & replaced also. when stationary, revved the engine & no noise. I thought I might have blown the turbo but not sure.

Mate black sludge is normal esp if you get a bit of water in the oil, which it sounds like you did. it is usually a combination of crappy oil and metal shavings. the sump plug has a magnet in it to catch any metal deposits floating around in there.

What nissan is it? Does it squeal in neutral with throttle or is it only when driven in gear? you should hear if it is a turbo bearing when in neutral and revving engine. If it's not a loose belt it could be an idler bearing or pulley bearing.

If it is a turbo have a look at what model turbo it is and have a look at e-bay.

I just picked one up for the surf at under $500 delivered from the states. local mob wanted $1800 to swap one. That's not fit a new one just swap over the counter.

Mate,

If it's the turbo that's blown then generally there are more problems than just a whining noise. Because of the way turbocharger operate, if either the compressor or turbine wheel lets go, or the main shaft bends, your engine will fail to generate any boost and possibly blow clouds of dirty oil smoke if the metal fragments have done damage to the inner housing/oil seals.

Perhaps an oil cooling line is blocked, which could create an overheating senario and cause the noise, or an internal bearing is fragged but by the sounds of it, the turbo shouldn't be the issue.

Please don't quote me on this, just my two cents. I'd just be looking elsewhere

Archived