Lake Borumba 2/5/07

Feral

well Ferg and I hit the water about 7:30am, after about an hour and a half run from Fergs place.

We were trying my second 6hp that Ferg has been working on, as well as taking Ray's electric (the parts for mine have not arrived yet).

It was a very quiet day, no fish, I think one boat caught a couple of Yella's, after doing the usual \"tie up to one stump all day using live shrimp\" routine.

About 1:30 Ferg and I found ourself tied up in the shade in a little cove of sunken trees, perfect fishing country, but no bites. Then we started getting some very timid hits, I had a hit, but it took me straight around a snag, gone!

Then all hell broke loose, A Toga hit Fergs lure about 20 foot from the boat, took it, ran and spat it before we new what had happened. It lept about 3 foot into the air!

Ferg was using a 80mm white shad, so I changed to that as well, then Ferg was on a second time, no escape this time, Ferg boated his First Toga, a 46cm pink beauty!

A few casts later and another Toga boil and miss for Ferg, then a couple of cast later I was hit hard, another Toga, fought it for about 5 to 10 seconds and then it spat the shad.

A few more taps, then it was time to head home (Isn't it always the way?)

Pretty slow day until the last half an hour, but a great way to spend a day!

The outboard? would not run at full revs, would starve and die. Ran fine up to about 3/4 throttle most of day, but got progressively harder to start, on final run home was having to use choke to keep it going, but she got us home ok! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1060373.jpg

post-134-144598413539_thumb.jpg

Yeah we tried every where, every lure and plastic we had, could see fish on sounder they just would not bite on anything we had. As I mentioned no one else was doing any good either.

The water was full of these tiny fish, about an inch or two long, and see through, even the deep water had them in it. I suspect everything was either fixated on these, and not bitting on anything else, or already had a belly full of them!

You were not wrong about the ramp, I had wheels within an inch of edge to launch and retrieve. Old couple I warned just went down the gravel beside the ramp (4wd F150) no problems, so I'd say anyone wanting to fish Borumba would be looking at a gravel bank launch. You would need something with good clearance, the gravel is rough and oversize.

I liked the dam a lot - but I wont be going back until it has some more water in it. There is no way my car could launch on the gravel as it is. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/ramp.jpg

Sorry we couldnt accompany you but Graham had to get reversing cameras fitted to his cruiser and caravan.

I dont think that my outfit would have liked the ramp as i have to sink my trailer to retrieve.

The toga sounded great. I am jealous as i have never caught one on a lure. We used to catch them on set lines in the Dawson at Taroom 40 odd years ago. Used to chuck them back as too boney.

Ray

They are a sensational fish, yeah I reckon the water has probably dropped even more since I was there as a fair bit was shooting out below into the creek. Alot of 4X4 were bank launching on that gravel, don't think I would attempt it in the camry.

TerryH wrote:

Nice Toga!

Can't wait to hit up Borumba! Feral did you try any deep diving lures (like 8m deep)? I'll certainly be trying for some of those toga!

1/2 oz spinner baits, Gvibe deeps, Plastics, all will go that deep easily enough when cast, all were used when we saw schools on the sounder - I dont troll overly much, (bores me senseless).

Even in deep water the fish on the sounder were in the top 30 foot. Toga we came across were in 10 foot of water.

The blokes fishing for yellas (on bait) were in 30 - 50 foot of water around trees.

Terry it would be a long paddle from launch point to tree'd areas at back of Dam, it was a good half hour run at 4 knots.

There is no weed in the dam at all, and little structure left in the water in the main dam. Lots of steep walls though.

Hey Feral, Nice pics of the toga.

Was that outborad the one that you posted pictures of in pieces?

How old is it? I have just bought an old tinny that came with an equally old Johnson 6hp \"sea horse\"...looks at least 80's vintage if not 70's!

Model # 6R78B.

The formentioned pics look very similar to mine.

I don't know much about the pedigree of these little suckers, are they supposed to be good little beasts?

I am yet to take mine out for it's \"maiden\" voyage.

Here's hoping that I don't end up paddling :(

G'day Rocket,

I'd recommend you tag along with someone else on your maiden voyage if you're not too confident in the motor yet. Maybe the wello trip or something.

If you're like me and don't know much about those mechanical things a trip to an outboard mechanic for a checkover and service might be dollars well spent.

Can't recommend anyone on your side of town, but I could on the southside if you're interested.

Cheers

Rocket75 wrote:

Hey Feral, Nice pics of the toga.

Was that outborad the one that you posted pictures of in pieces?

How old is it? I have just bought an old tinny that came with an equally old Johnson 6hp \"sea horse\"...looks at least 80's vintage if not 70's!

Model # 6R78B.

The formentioned pics look very similar to mine.

I don't know much about the pedigree of these little suckers, are they supposed to be good little beasts?

I am yet to take mine out for it's \"maiden\" voyage.

Here's hoping that I don't end up paddling :(

Yeah that is the one that was in pieces. It is a '76 model, my other one is an '87 model.

Yours (from that serial number) is a '78 model. (and no not because it has 78 in the serial number, there is a list on the Johnson website of what serial numbers were made in what years)

They have a very good reputation as solid workhorses,very reliable. If your iffy about her, either take her out with someone else, or do a little trip in a creek against the tide. (IE if tide going out go upstream, so if she dies on you you are rowing with the tide to get back to the ramp) I did that with my other one first few trips in local creek, then she got a good workout at Lenthalls whilst I was with other boats.

These days I always have two motors on board, either 2 electrics, or an electric and the 6hp, so I was not all that worried about the motor giving up the ghost.

Feral, how far away is that from the camp grounds? We're thinking of a weekend up there.

Also, how fast is 4 knots? I'm not sure how fast us yakkers usually troll, or how fast I go when paddling from location to location (not trolling)

Terry, depends on where you camp. If you stay at the Deer park with all mod cons, about a 5 minute drive.

If you stay at the camping ground below the wall, well the 70 year old lady I was talking to at the ramp walked back to stretch her legs, flat out being a 5 minute walk.

4 knots is about 8kph, I'd reckon its a couple of K's to paddle to the back of the dam.

Hi Ellicat, thanks for the advice. I won't be heading out too far in the near future, and a fairly thorough check up is part of my plan...just a matter of finding someone trustworthy to do it...I don't want to end up with a bill for replacing every moving part! Thanks for the offer, but it would need to be northside.

Anyone got a good contact that I can call?

Hey Feral, I'm glad to hear that they have a good rep.

Good advice that about the tide, will keep it in mind.

I won't need a 2nd motor, I'll have my lovely wife along to do the paddling if need be!!:evil: :dry:

Archived