info on lures

big dave

Hey mate, good to see that you are interested on lures! They are great and make fishing so much more fun/interesting/awsome/better etc =]

Each fish species has lures which work better for them eg flatties love big plastics..

Lure fishing can be split up into soft plastics & hardbodies - soft plastic lures sitting on a jighead (hook with a weight on it). You change jigheads depending on depth and current and it's cheaper than fishing hb haha! Hb's have a bib on the front which controls how deep they dive

I haven't had the privilege of catching a jack but have heard of them being caught both on soft plastics as well as hardbodies.

Will you be fishing off a boat or land? I know of people who troll hbs for jacks with good success so that could be an option? Something that dives 1.5m or more?

To be honest and take no offence here - maybe if your trying lures for the first time try and catch a flathead? just to get your confidence up, i say this only because you might try for another 10 times with lures for jacks and come up with nothing and get over it - which would be so bad because lure fishing is so exciting! On the other hand you could go out there and nail a 50cm jack tommorow so goodluck and hope i was of some help

Just goto big w and get some jigheads - something heavy and cast to easy for a beginner; maybe 1/4.. that + some 3" or 4" nuke chook gulp and you should be onto some flatties!

cast out as far as you can (paralell to the bank) - let it sink, give it a couple hops off the bottom; wind up slack *repeat and you should be onto a flattie!

best of luck and let us know how you go mate

That's right, a few customers have reported back doing well on some bigger flatties up to 80cm lately on the 20g version. both models good for deeper structure and working with a lift/drop along the bottom down the sides of banks

jigging next to pilons, jetties, rocks and other structure is a good way to get a few jacks too as the waters warming up

cheers

Dan

i got a boat. i know jacks are hard to catch but being new in a boat i wont mind just going for a trip around and trolling. i just got a predatek boomerang 65 lure ill give this a go while trolling and ill throw out some livies to try get a few also. see what happens but i will be happy to come home empty handed but have had a good day out on the water.

G'day Mate,

Firstly, I have never caught a jack.....I have never taregeted them. However, making the decision to lure-fish is a pretty cool one. I had Jimmy holding my hand the first time I went lol.....And came away with a freshwater cattie. The trick is to leave all bait at home and totally committ to lures on a particular outing. Be prepared for a donut or two, however that first hook-up you get on a lure with give you a lot of confidence, and the fish will keep coming from there. Good luck mate, a lure-caught fish is very satisfying!!!!!

Cheers,

Ryan.

ryanyoung wrote:

G'day Mate,

Firstly, I have never caught a jack.....I have never taregeted them. However, making the decision to lure-fish is a pretty cool one. I had Jimmy holding my hand the first time I went lol.....And came away with a freshwater cattie. The trick is to leave all bait at home and totally committ to lures on a particular outing. Be prepared for a donut or two, however that first hook-up you get on a lure with give you a lot of confidence, and the fish will keep coming from there. Good luck mate, a lure-caught fish is very satisfying!!!!!

Cheers,

Ryan.

Truer words were never spoken. Gotta leave that bait at home to truly get the confidence in yourself :)

Archived