New To QLD fishing...

fozziebear

Hey guys, Ive moved up here from melbourne...to Logan...And was just wondering where the best places are to fish land based? I don't have a boat...(yet - gotta convince missus first somehow)and I tried to logan river (skinners park) but all I got was catfish and that annoyed me....Brisbane River any good or? ANYwhere you guys suggest will help....

The best spots I find are on the map below.

Under the bridge on the pontoon near Beenleigh you can catch Mulloway and Flathead. There's a big rec park on the other side of the bridge and the pontoon there offers the same fare.

The other spot is at Reiders Rd on one side and Ageston Rd on the other. There you can catch Bream and Bullshark.

I'm sure there's other spots, but I fish close to home and they work for me.

If you rent or get a boat, try the Junction and Marks Rocks.

Good luck

V A_FISH_MAP.PNG

There are 4 very important ingredients to improving your chances of catching a fish.

rig/tackle- Light for Bream whiting smaller flatead

- heavier 70cm trace@20lb with a circle hook and ball sinker above swivel.

Bait - Live cast net baits are good or experiment with bought baits and cut baits.

Tide- For the Brisbane river high and the outgoing is good (Dead low an hour either side can also produce)

Time -Night,dusk, early morning.

I think you should try that down your way at the Logan or Coomera.

also you will always catch catfish, they are common.

cheers

straddiebrad wrote:

mate they have been getting jew at jacobs well of the bank down there,welcome to the site fun fishing.brad

Hey mate Ive been down Jacobs Well twice over the last month, was up at the mouth of Belm creek last saturday on the run out, was puzzled as to what busted me off 3x, we started using 20lb leader but after these 3 bust-off's we switched to 30lb leader then the fish disappeared, the line had been clean cut like the fish had scissors, I was using a longish leader about 70cm 20lb, light sinker and 10lb braid, we moved on back towards the ramp and stopped at another smallish creek mouth where my missus hooked a nice what we thought was a jewie, she handed the beast to me which on 10lb took me 25mins to finally see colour and after another 5 mins I had her wearing down but unlucky for me she had one last fight and took off down stream and the 30lb leader knott let go at the swivel :S

Still not 100 percent sure it was a jewie, it surfaced 5-8 mtrs away not close enough to confirm, anytime it got close to the boat it went deeper or around my anchour rope :woohoo:

• 3 weeks later...

cheers everyone...just I miss the fishing back down in melbourne, particularly the snapper season, always so fun...gummy sharks, bronze whalers, seven gill sharks, mako sharks....dont suppose you guys have em up here eh? what's the fishing like at straddie island? point lookout area? missus wants to camp there for a few nights and she was told by one of her friends that fishing is great there? Havent had time to fish in the last 2 weeks unfortunately, with work being in the way :unsure:

Archived