What size battery would you recommend?

blairv

Hey Guys

My current battery for the boat is a rather old car battery that hardly cuts the msutard any more.

I am looking at getting a new battery and wonder if anyone had recommendations on size. It will be a deep cycle model and needs to run the following:

1. Nav Lights (incandesent)

2. Anchor Lights (incandesent)

3. Sounder (Humminbird SX250)

4. Spot Light (say 1 hour per trip)

I usually take the tinny out for 5-6 hrs at a time at night and want to have enough juice to run everything and then some.

Any advise welcome

Cheers

Blair

Gday Blair,

I have about the same battery requirements as you, plus an electric start 50hp motor. Last year I bought a new battey on ebay from a bloke over at Everton Hills who imports and sells batteries from his home.

I got a 95ah AGM deep cycle battery for less than $200 which is rediculously cheap for an AGM of that size. I wasn't expecting great quality for the price, but 12 months down the track it's still holding 13.1v at rest.

I'm still waiting to see how it goes over the long haul, but to date I'm impressed.

I'd cut and paste the link, but I'm computer illiterate.:P

He calls himself mr.batteryman.

Are deep cycle batteries adequate for both cranking/starting and running the electrics/electronics ?

The one I got cranks the 50 Yam pretty easy, but I don't think mid sized outboards draw the sort of starting current that large outboards and cars do.

Got me curious now, I'll put the clampmeter on it next time I start it.

Tangles, Make sure what ever you do that you get a marine battery as they are constructed to take the crash and bash that a boat can give it. A normal deep cycle battery may not take the punishment a boat can give it. Remember that the smaller the boat, the more it is likely to thump and bump.

Tangles, Make sure what ever you do that you get a marine battery as they are constructed to take the crash and bash that a boat can give it. A normal deep cycle battery may not take the punishment a boat can give it. Remember that the smaller the boat, the more it is likely to thump and bump.

Yes, I read that somewhere after I bought the battery. :ohmy: I have it mid mounted in a 16ft tinny. It's not a harsh riding boat and so far so good. As I said only time will tell.

Thanks for the tip anyway.

The biggest problems I encountered with battery failure (as an auto-electrician) was with smaller boats that didn't have electric start. Many people have put the battery up the front of the boat thinking this will be better for weight distribution (as they don't need it near the motor) and this can be a valid thought, however the front of the boat cops a hellova hammering compared to the back and therefore batterys are much more 'comfortable' in the back, just as we are.

Archived