PE strength compared to Fireline or Microfuse?

I have an Alphas and I have 125 Yards of very good quality 10lb PE braid on it.

This braid is very thin and has a great feel.

Now since I fish the river I have caught some large fish on 8lb Fireline and I consider with the right leader you can pull in large Jew or threadfin on it because it is such a tough line.

So I am wondering does the PE punch above its weight like the Firleine does or is there a strength trade off for the reduced diameter.

In other words have I put too light a Braid on my reel if I want to handle a big threadie or Jew at times?

cheers

the fireline is gonna be alot stronger than most PE lines available,

what particular line are you running?

the thing I don't like about most PE braids is the poor abrasion resistance, I've got all my setups spooled with powerpro braid ranging from 10lb up to 30lb. I used to use sunline super PE and found it fine, did not enjoy sunline castaway as contact with anything was likely to cause an insta snap being so wafer thin

depending on location if its a clean fight without much chance of a snag you'll get away with the PE on the threadies and jew for sure but for insurance purposes i always prefer a tougher variety

you should be able to find a site with true breaking strain of various lines, i think you'll find most PE braids break very close to the stated test whereas fireline and braids such as powerpro will break considerably higher than the stated test

cheers

Dan

Thanks Dan that is kind of what I was suspecting.

I know PE abrasion resistance is poor.

I forget the actual name of the braid but it is made by "Toray", pictured on right, it was colored ever 25 meters.Its a nice Braid.

Guess only time will tell if it holds on a good fish, not that I really expected 10lb to handle huge fish but in the Brisbane river you can be flicking 4" plastics of SX60's and get hit by a good fish out of nowhere.

I might upgrade to a heavier PE in future and spool the 10lb onto my spin reel.

Cheers for the link

Dan

hmm I haven't used any PE stuff but I've used Fireline ( who hasn't :laugh: ) and Stren Microfuse. Out of the two, I love my Stren Microfuse, it casts well and I never have any wind knots, Ive caught many jew with it mostly around the 60cm - 75cm

I only have a light set up which makes it more fun with the 4lb Mircofuse :) though I do switch over to 10lb spiderwire braid every now and then, but soon replacing it with mircofuse.

Cheerrrrrrs

qbk

hmm I haven't used any PE stuff but I've used Fireline ( who hasn't :laugh: ) and Stren Microfuse. Out of the two, I love my Stren Microfuse, it casts well and I never have any wind knots, Ive caught many jew with it mostly around the 60cm - 75cm

I only have a light set up which makes it more fun with the 4lb Mircofuse :) though I do switch over to 10lb spiderwire braid every now and then, but soon replacing it with mircofuse.

Cheerrrrrrs

qbk

I like the Fireline and the micro fuse myself mate, I think we are spoilt for choice.

It's heartening to see your landing some good fish on 4lb, there is hope for my 10lb PE yet.

cheers

Is power pro PE? Elops?

The worst experience I had with PE was when I purchased a spool of 4lb Rockfish PE (The orange stuff).

The abrasion resistance was so bad it would break while tying a knot too quick, wear out just above the knot after 5 or 6 casts and snap completely on a mid cast wind knot sending my jig and tackle into the wild blue yonder on more occasions than I care to remember.

But come to think of it this Toray stuff is quite durable for casting.

Here is some on 10lb after a day of cast 1/4 jig heads and sx60's.

You can see the tag end is frayed from constantly hitting the runners though the rest of it look pretty good wear wise.

Cheers

post-7523-144598537173_thumb.jpg

It is an albright knot.

Best for tying leaders to braid when fishing relatively light, soft plastics and lures.

I still use a swivel as well when bait fishing.

Edit: Also that is 10lb Berkely Triline mono I am using there as leader, and it is fairly thin as mono goes.

So you could imagine me trying to tie a 20-30lb leader onto that if I want to target something bigger.

What I would really like to do is buy another spool about $100 and some 20lb $45.00 and have this aside for bigger fish, I just cant really justify it at present since I have not even been out much lately.

cheers

Archived