Savin a few bucks on trebles and increasing hookup

You will want jigging or trout singles if your going singles, not just an ordinary hook. So they don't work out as cheap as you would imagine.

Major pro: better hookup with less chance of fish throwing the hooks.

Major con: You will miss some hits that would hookup with the use of a treble.

It's a trade off, for fish like Threadfin with bucket mouth's singles are great. But for example, I would never use singles on a hardbody for Bream. Maybe Flathead and Cod but certainly not Bream, Squire, and even Jewies.

You will want jigging or trout singles if your going singles, not just an ordinary hook. So they don't work out as cheap as you would imagine.

Major pro: better hookup with less chance of fish throwing the hooks.

Major con: You will miss some hits that would hookup with the use of a treble.

It's a trade off, for fish like Threadfin with bucket mouth's singles are great. But for example, I would never use singles on a hardbody for Bream. Maybe Flathead and Cod but certainly not Bream, Squire, and even Jewies.

Pretty sure an 8 packet of owner trebles cost about $12.00 and an 8 packet of Gamakatsu singles cost about $4.50- $5.00.

Cheaper if your doing about 20 lures.

I don't bother much with bream, never really seen the great attraction in them besides the fact they are ok to eat.

cheers

Which Gamma's are you talking about? Just remember you need to use Jigging or trout plug type singles, normal hook's don't go on split rings the right way, unless you want to used 2 split rings but that just becomes awkward. Can't remember the price of the Jigging singles id say they are close to that of trebles, but if they are $4.50 then tell me where!

i haven't had much luck pinning jewies/snaps on singles, but on that note a good customer of mine uses small singles fairly exclusively and reports an excellent hookup rate on the same fish

i'll run singles if i i'm chasing threadies only (and if i have any singles around haha) but most of the time i'm in the lucky dip fishing the mouth so i tend to stick with the trebles

thats a great price though 4.50 for 8

cheers

dan

You also need will need to match the size and weight up pretty close or it changes the whole swim of the lure... Especially on an SX 40 where the slightest bit of extra weight will change the swim and turn something from a suspending to sinking or floating to sinking etc.. You also should run the front one facing forward and back facing backwards for them to be properly effective - if they're both backwards you'll get less snags but miss alot of hookups on the front single. Certainly not gospel but give it a go and let us know how it plays out.

I think the hook up rate is worse off, but staying connected is more likely... I can only say this from my 1 experience with having a single on the back of my popper out at Straddie. Missed a stack of hits, but when I hoooked them, I found them perfectly pinned in the side of the mouth and they could shake all they wanted.

Archived