Somerset Dam 8/5/07

Feral

Well Ferg, Ray and I headed off from my place about 6:15am, stopped for a pie in Kilcoy and got to Kirkleagh about 7:20. Ray was towing my boat with his hilux.

Waited for the joint to open, (supposed to open at 7:30) when ranger rolled up, and let us in, told us to fix them up later! ($15 fee for boating on dam)

Well we launched from the dirt bank (better than the gravel ramps), and then spent 20 minutes trying to get out of the launch bay to go upstream, but every where we tried to go we ran aground. Eventually we gave up and went downstream.

Fished the steep banks on the eastern side about 1k south of Kirkleagh, lots of fish on sounder but not even a bite.

Headed down to Queen St, same deal lots of fish on sounder but not a touch! It was about 11am by then so we decided to head back up and try to go upstream again, because we had seen one bloke go that way in the distance, so new there must be a way through.

There was a promising looking bank just in front of the rangers hut at Kirkleagh, so we stopped for a drift, once again plenty of fish on sounder, but not a touch. About half way along the wall I decided to change lures, looked in the tackle box and there was the gold and black Ebay job, in the exact pattern that is supposed to be a killer for yella's, which I had never had any success with. So tied it on, cast, and bang! I was on! Put up a really good fight, trested out the repairs to the Loomis well. Had three runs from the boat (playing it back in each time, and as soon as it saw the boat it was away again)before finally netting a respectable 47cm yella!

Took a couple of photo's and sent him home. As by that time the only other boat in sight had zoomed up and anchored where I had hooked the fish (by the time I had boated it we had drifted a fair way), we did a few half hearted drifts and got nothing else.

We then headed up stream. the bloke who had got through had laid out a line of redclaw pots as he left, so we were able to follow them, but basically we hugged the bank back pat the two ramps, right around the bay and then exited between two stumps. Got down to about 3foot, but easy enough.

We headed upstream and it looked very fishy with some great tree structure, even some of it still in the water! We tried tying up to a couple of trees, but got only a couple of follows from spangled perch.

Called it a day at 2pm and headed back to the ramp.

Note when I got home we had less than 1cm of fuel left in the fuel tank, so must remember to take extra next time!

This is the gate to get in. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1gate.jpg

post-134-144598414058_thumb.jpg

Feral wrote:

Fished the steep banks on the eastern side about 1k south of Kirkleagh, lots of fish on sounder but not even a bite.

Headed down to Queen St, same deal lots of fish on sounder but not a touch! so we stopped for a drift, once again plenty of fish on sounder, but not a touch.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Sounds like someone has got to ya sounder with a fine nikko and drew some very pretty fish on the screen!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Nice one Andrew.

How often do you out fish Ferg :P

Oh well i know you were there for big bass, but im sure the yellas was a nice alternative. Nice looking healthy fish as well. A lot of yella photo's i see from Somerset always seem to have that milky look to them.

Angus

Archived