fishing the yabba

craige1983

Hey all, went fishing in the Yabba located near imbil, it was and avro sesh, started about 3pm, at one of our favourite fishing spots from when we were young, hadn't fished it in years, so it was going to be interesting to see how it would produce. so after a bit of a trek we arrived, my mate brenden had a black rover surface lure on using the walk the dog technique, I thought he crazy using a surface lure at that time of the day, but than 2nd cast tight into the opposing bank ''BOOSH" and then "LEAP" he was on to a Toga about 50cm long, I thought "yeah mate you just got lucky being so early." so back into it and 3 more cast later "BLOOP"

he was on again about 2 metres away from the 1st fish, and in come his 2nd fish a nice 41cm bass.

So now i was thinking that I should be using something similar so i put my Atomic ghost green, 1st cast nothing, 2nd cast went right in the middle of the waterhole, 3 cranks later "SMASH" and in came a 38cm bass. so here we were, the first 5 minutes and reeled in 3 quality fish, I thought to myself this is still an awesome fishing spot, but than it went dead no more surface activity, after about half an hour it was time to change tactics, I decided to use a TT Lures Spinnerbait 1/4 ounce in bony bream colour, and fish it with a slow rolling retrieve along the sandy/pebbley bottom, first cast just short of the opposing bank, a couple cranks into the retrieve and i was on, the fight didn't feel like it was a BASS, it was a bit sluggish, got it in, a 40cm Yella, so here we were in a fishing spot already caught 3 different species in less than 30metre radius of water, this is great.

I kept on fishing with the spinners and brenden watch me pulling bass out here, yellas out there and decide to switch to his "GUN" spinnerbait a kokoda white 1/4 ounce, about 5 five cast later his line goes "SNAP" and i erupted in laughter, his bail had clicked back over and the spinner went "bye byes", he is a local to the area and thats about the 10th spinner he had lost due to that or fish busting him off within 3 weeks, so he rigs his line again same type and get straight back into it, sure enough it pays dividends, he his onto the bass and yellas as well.

Getting along into the afternoon casting around all of a sudden "SMACK" my rod buckles over, the reel screams with line peeling off it and i feeling some big head shakes and quite a bit of weight, i hadn't had any thing this big on before in this waterway, after a creditable fight to the fish a nice 50cm yella emerges, putting it on the scales it weighed 4.1kg, it was than released, a couple more fish were caught, most were well over legal size, all released, we finished up at 5:30pm, with total of 6 yellas, 8 bass and 1 toga, the ol' waterhole had lived up to its past reputation.

Cheers for reading;)

post-6081-144598551751_thumb.jpg

post-6081-144598551762_thumb.jpg

post-6081-144598551769_thumb.jpg

post-6081-144598551774_thumb.jpg

Bonza session. I suspect there were a few giggles and a bit of taking the mickey out of each other. Bust offs like your mate had are damned funny when it's not you :laugh: Ted cracked me up the other night smashing his terminal end into the wharves in the dark :laugh:

Yabba seems to throw up some good fish, but I haven't given it a go for quite a few years now. Might have to make the trek with the family soonish.

Archived