another tilapia spot

James W

took the kiddies to the park near bald hills, i think its called "pine rivers park" not sure, sorry.

anyway in the pond there i saw hundreds and hundreds of tilapia from above on the stage they have there...some were massive too with black males running round with the pale females, look like they were courting. hundreds of em!

i couldnt see any "no fishing" signs, but gunna check that tomorrow when i call the dpi to tell them the place is infested with tillies.

on another note, the ducks there are living in terror! i saw something having a crack at em a couple times with big bust ups! was quite funny...maybe a rouge eel? :lol:

In some dams where eels have been living for a long time, they become the apex predator and have been seen to take ducks from the top of the water. Ducklings in particular are vulnerable.

Pine River Park is correct. I used to collect freshwater shrimps there but gave up as my traps collected more small tilapias than anything else.

Would be a good spot for a social culling session.

Luc

hey guys, i live and work really close to the area.

pine rivers park went under during the floods and alot of the surrounding area did as well. surprised to hear theres tillies in there. let the white bucket guys cull the tilapia. if only there was a way we could make em think tillies are better eating.

anyway. im keen to wipe out some numbers. a fish is a fish in my eyes. beats the donuts.

I had a quick fish with the boys and one of their mates this afternoon. We ended up with 15 tilles and most where of a good size. It was difficult as there is a lot of Turtles. I used the wide gap hooks which help with release. As Jacob was reeling in his line I noticed a few large Tillies swiping at the bait. The best success we had was to use the unweighted prawn similar to a soft plastic action. This reduced the turtle bycatch emensely and also started our hook ups. This is so different to what I normally do to fish for them. We also picked up 10 eels and two spangled perch. The waterway is pretty healthy. Not to bad for a quick arvo session. Good luck guys

I went down this afternoon for a quick look and ran into crazywalrus. Always good to meet another friendly AFO member. Looking foward to having a fish or two with you in the future mate

looked like alot of fun apart from the bloody turtles haha

It was good to meet you mate. will be good to hit up NPD

Archived