Burrum heads / Lenthalls

Feral

Well I wanted to take my sons to Lenthalls for a few days over the school holidays, rang Ray, yep he is in. but the Burrum River cabin was booked up. Choices remaining were Bush camp at Wongai, van parks at Maryborough or Burrum heads.

Not real fussed on Maryborough, spent a few months there building the road south of town, not much for a couple of kids, not real keen on leaving boat full of gear each night. Not keen on camping on edge of Mary River.

Bush camp, well I reckon my kids would die without TV and a power point to plug in their nintendo's. So whilst tempted to show them what life is all about, I reckoned it would not be worth the 4 days of whinging. Also cold showers in June / July dont really appeal, I am getting soft as well!

That left Burrum Heads, an extra 20 minutes to Lenthalls, but lovely little spot, beaches to swim at, good boat ramp into the river right there in the van park. I figure it gives us an option rather than the dam if we get sick of the road in, or sick of catching only Barra. So rang them up, yep ensuite cabin available, $212 for 4 nights for Ray, myself and the two boys - cheap as chips!

Booked in for 25th to 29th of June. (Monday to Friday).

saw some nice holiday rentals at burrum heads, right near the boat ramp (literally metres away). I can't remember what street it's on.. bugger. We just followed the signs to burrum heads and kept driving til we saw the ocean and voila, a boat ramp! i can find out exactly where it was if you want.

The burrum and gregory rivers how big populations of jacks if it isn't to cold, Setember is a better option for them and the barra start to fire up then to, but there can be some good spanish mackeral around in june on some of the close reefs on live baits

We have already booked!

From what I saw most of the houses between the boat ramp and the main road in are rentals, but an ensuite cabin suites us just fine!

We will only have the 6hp on the boat Slider (Lenthalls limit) so while we will no doubt have a go at Burrum heads, any sort of a distance is really out at 10kph maximum speed!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/05/23 19:59

rayke1938 wrote:

Might have to bring along my 4 hp and have twin motors on the back.Wonder what they would do at lenthals if you rocked up with twin 6hp on back?

Ray

ROFLMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Id have to see it to believe it :whistle: :whistle:

Cheers

James

Bud wrote:

Excuse the ignorance or stupidity but where exactly is lenthalls?

Is it a possible one day or overnight trip?

About 20 minutes North of Maryborough along the Bruce Highway, its a stocked impoundment full of Barra and those little green fish that make Barra grow big umm let me see I think they are called Bass. :whistle:

Its just one of the many gems on the Fraser Coast.

Bud there is no such thing as a stupid question because only a fool thinks he knows everything !!!

Some fishos do come up from the Goldy at sparrow fart and head home at closing time but I wouldnt like to do it.

Cheers

James

Burrum Heads is a great place to stay, We usually stay there over the christmas period if I can get the time off. It was so nice that last chrissy we bought a block of land there and are hopefully moving up there soon. Be aware, keep a good eye on your fishing gear and crab pots if you plan to do that, as things go missing, I am also sure that it is not the locals.

I hope you enjoy your 4 days.

Tony:

Thank you very much James, nothing like catching up with a bloke and having a yarn and getting called a lepper:laugh: Mind you the scars are still there. I cant beleive Burrum is booked out Feral is it just the cabins or all camp sites gone as well

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Feral,

Have a bloody good time up at Burrum and Lenthals. I have good many a fish at Burrum heads and a few at Lenthals. I lived in Maryborough for a couple of years. Glad to get out though. Bass on shrimp and we used to try and catch a few crickets in the grass and under rocks from the bottom side of the dam wall. Quite a few average (max 30-35cm) bass. Had a mate you reckons he caught a bloody big Yellow belly in a cast net near the wall as well, until fisheries guys caught up with him and hit him with a fine!! (no permit).

I have seen plenty of people swimming at Burrum Heads over the years and have done it myself, but haven't been in after the time I caught the biggest Stone fish I've ever seen from the rocks. They are the ugliest most evil looking creatures on this earth I reckon. Anyway just be careful Feral and kids. I still have nightmares about how that thing looked!! Quite a vast array of fish species available there also. I have caught everything from squire to what I think was a Bat Fish.

My wife and three year old are going up there this week. I have to work.:angry: but will be up there on Friday to spend some time giving the young fella a appreciation for fishing and the good life, and reacquaint the missus to fishing. neither of us have had the chance to indulge in this for a while and we both miss it!!

Good luck chaps!!;)

Archived