Nth Pine Dam 26/05/07

adventure_angler

Arrived at Forgan Cove car park at the crack of dawn and began the Saturday morning ritual of walking the bank and flicking lures. As we have come to expect, there were no hits before the sun managed to appear from behind the hills. The morning started off very slowly with a few small hits and failed landings (we both lost a fish close to the bank) and this had us thinking it wasn’t going to be our day. Persistance payed off when my mate managed to land a nice bass after a good fight which went exactly 50cm to the fork. We continued flicking G-Vibes and Jackalls and Andrew landed the next fish too, but it only went 30cm. I was having no success on the G-Vibes on this bank so rounded the corner and found another nice bank. First cast and I was on which restored my belief in G-Vibes. After fighting him to within 4 metres of the bank he decided to dart towards a nice snag on the edge and despite me walking away from the snag while maintaining tension on the line he went straight under it. I could still feel the kicks and vibrations on the line and when I walked closer to the snag I could see the fish darting around under the snag. Determined to get my first fish of the day I walked out up to my knees and worked him out from the opposite angle. Finally got him to the bank and measured him to be 43cm fork (approx). Did not get a photo of this fish and the brag mat was not with me as I had ventured off without any gear. Measured the bass against my rod and later measured the distance on the rod. Had a few casts a bit further up the bank with no luck. On my way back to Andrew I had another cast from beside the snag and I was on again, this time not having to work as hard to bring it in. This bass was about 41cm to the fork. By this time Andrew had come looking for me and rounded the bend just as I released this fish. First cast after him arriving and I had hooked another bass which would have been 35cm. A few casts later and Andrew had hooked his first bass from this bank and the morning had well and truly turned around. We ended up getting 6 bass each and numerous hits all morning.

Its hard to say but I know that the last few times at North Pine Dam the G-Vibes have produced just as many fish as the jackalls.

I definately think the G-Vibes are well worth a go and I continue to use them every time I go to the dam. Definately pays off when you get bricked or snagged on some submerged structure.

-nelson-

I don't support G-Vibes, 1 because they are of cheap quality (Hooks, strength, paint job, etc.), 2 because they don't catch any fish and 3 because they are complete rip offs of Jackalls. Flogging lure designs just isn't right.

Good report anyway mate. Why not try some Spinnerbaits or Softplastics :P ? That way you're not relying on just the one lure.

Johnny and I found a patch of small fish this afternoon with the biggest going 40cm fork. We began using Spinnerbaits and missed literally about 15 hits from small fish in about the same amount of casts. We were pulling in fish inbetwen missed hits as well. Good fun feeling them hit it but not so good when they don't just eat it!

Robski also got a solid Yellowbelly around the 55-60cm length. It was a good fish.

Troy

The yellow-belly was caught on a G-vibe too Troy, Lol.

Thanks again.

The fish came off the lure just before I could get it up onto the bank. Luckily, troy was on the spot to save the day, and grabbed it before it had time to swim away.

Thanks again for the photo also.

Karma coming your way :cheer:

Post edited by: robski, at: 2007/05/27 02:23

Post edited by: robski, at: 2007/05/27 02:25

post-803-144598415816_thumb.jpg

blue_mako wrote:

I don't support G-Vibes, 1 because they are of cheap quality (Hooks, strength, paint job, etc.),

Probably why they are 3 for $10 instead of $25 a throw :P

blue_mako wrote:

2 because they don't catch any fish

I've done alright with them, but you cant deny they good for a bite or two from a Blue Mako from time to time! :P

blue_mako wrote:

3 because they are complete rip offs of Jackalls. Flogging lure designs just isn't right.

Just about every man and his dog makes that sort of lure these days. Obviously if Jackalls were the first they were silly enough not to patent the design!

Troy I'd buy them and support the original designer if I thought they were even remotely value for money. To me they are grossly overpriced.

Troy - UYB -

Nothing wrong with Gibes or any other lure look alike. That is like saying there should only be 1 type of car because the original had 4 wheels. There is nothing wrong with using a generic design, placing an item in the market place as a cheaper version.

Some of my work shirts cost over $150 and others cost $25 – Can I tell the difference? Yeap. Do they both get the job done? Yeap.

Talking about copies – how about those new Barra Lures from JWalker in Big W? They are very similar to the Barra Classics but $10 Cheaper.

What I consider a rip off is manufacturers over charging consumers because they think they can get a way with it. Barra Classic and Jackals are examples of “when you are on a good thing – slug the consumer for $$$â€Â.

Pride want stop me buying G Vibes.:P

Firstly, nice yellowbelly robski, good to see more solid fish coming from G-Vibes.

Troy, yeh I did try using a range of soft plastics but did not have any success on them, neither did my mate. Andrew often catches a few off soft plastics but they fish just wouldnt touch them yesterday. As for spinners, yeh Im gonna go out and buy some this week. Andrew started with a spinnerbait and was getting a heap of hits, but like you most didnt hook-up. He ended up losing his last spinner to a snag and had to use Jackalls for the rest of the day.

I dont doubt Jackalls are a better quality product than G-Vibes, however, when it comes to catching fish the G-Vibes have been landing as many fish as the Jackalls every trip. Yesterday my mate even swapped to G-Vibes when he started getting less fish and quickly bagged another 3 bass. The G-Vibes caught 9 of the 12 fish yesterday.

As for the paint job, I agree with you. The G-Vibes paint job doesnt seem to be as good quality. The main difference between G-Vibes and Jackalls (besides the price) would have to be the great range of colours available in Jackalls. They have a colour suited to every species and every situation, whereas with the G-Vibes you are restricted to about 7 colours.

Dont get me wrong, the Jackalls are a superior product, but when I can catch just as many fish off a lure that costs less than 1/3 of the price I know which Ill be using in most situations :lol:

-nelson-

Thanks Nelson

I forgot to mention that the YB and the second biggest fish of the day ( a bass around 40cm) were caught on the green and black striped G-Vibe. I switched to the black and gold TN 50 jackall late in the afternoon and caught 3 more smaller bass before getting my line caught up on the rod somehow, snapping it, and losing the lure practicaly on the last cast of the day.:laugh: :( .

Taking a mate out to the same spot later this afternoon. Hope I'm as lucky as yesterday...

Good-luck this arvo mate.

I havent used the green and black G-Vibe as much as the other colours but when I did i managed a few decent bass on it. It seems to go better around lunch / afternoon when the suns out in full force. Seems to go best when theres more light to reflect off it I have found.

-nelson-

I went and bought some g vibes today after my session this morning I used jackels but if I can catch fish on them and there cheaper why not give them a go we are all not made of money and andrew had to swim in a couple of times to retrieve his jackal from a snag so I would rather snap off a g vibe then swim in and scare the fish off

Archived