More Arvo Bassing 10/04 (photos to come later)

Jords

Went down today for ANOTHER crack at the bass (3rd in 5 or 6 days). Today the place was absolutely packed with people fishing around the road. There was one big group that was pulling in (and releasing! :side: ) bass after bass after bass by throwing live worms into the current along the sunken grass and just after where the water crossed the road.

Anyway, setup the yak and thought I would have a bit of a flick where these people were catching so many. 3rd cast, and yesterdays gun lures gone :angry::( . Anyway, not to be discouraged I tied on a different colour and set of in the kayak. Today I was aiming to get further downstream, so decided to cast at fewer snags, choosing only the ones that I had pulled fish from before.

Got my first fish from a miscast with a lip-less crank, as I was pulling out the birds nest it sank to the bottom, two winds and bang I was on. Nice 39/40cm bass quickly came aboard B) .

Kept paddling downstream, only really stopping to fish my two favourite new snags :). They are both branches/stumps/trees sticking up mid stream, and the water seems to flow quite quickly through there forming nice big eddies. Plan was to position the kayak downstream of the snag, so that I could cast diagonally cast across the front to the bank, and time my retrieval to have the lure carried onto the snag as I am winding it past. Pulled 2 bass out of the first one and 3 from the second (which is about 4-500m further downstream) in quick succession.

After this it was a bit quiet as I ventured further. Got the second smallest fish of the day cranking the lure back in after a miscast, and the smallest 'on the troll', quickly paddlign out of the way of a tree whilst accidently leaving the lure in the water :lol: . The smallest fish would have been pushing it to be over 15cm.

Also did my bit of good samaritan-ism for the weekend, paddled to pull a popper out of a tree for a bloke fishing from the bank.

All in all it was a good session, with only 8 fish caught, the biggest going roughly 42/43.

Also, on a side note, starting to see more bass with damage/fin rot. Guessing this means that there are a lot of new bass coming over the wall (of NPD) and filling the creek?

Cheers

First bass on the ruler. Ruler has a max of 37 or 38 so guessing this one went about 40/41 to the tip.

post-529-144598599096_thumb.jpg

Also had probably the worst damage of the lot, it's dorsal fin was looking quite ugly!

post-529-14459859913_thumb.jpg

post-529-144598599125_thumb.jpg

This is the biggest bass of the day, went 42/43 i'm guessing, bit hard to judge, need to get a brag mate or tape measure on the yak ASAP!

post-529-144598599137_thumb.jpg

post-529-14459859914_thumb.png

This was the little tacker that hit the lure 'on the troll'

[attachment]6.png[/attachment]

Cheers!

All fish were caught on lures i picked up at the austackle clearance, mostly the little sakanas (short fat lures) and one or two on the austackle lippless cranks

Nice session Jords, and top effort getting the guys lure out of the tree.

Every Basso needs someone like you around, think of the money we would have all saved.

haha cheers mate. Since getting the kayak I rekon my lure loss rate has decreased dramatically, i think its time to start investing in some decent lures at last!

First bass on the ruler. Ruler has a max of 37 or 38 so guessing this one went about 40/41 to the tip.

[attachment=32277]2_2011-04-10.jpg[/attachment]

Also had probably the worst damage of the lot, it's dorsal fin was looking quite ugly!

[attachment=32279]1_2011-04-10.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=32278]3_2011-04-10.jpg[/attachment]

This is the biggest bass of the day, went 42/43 i'm guessing, bit hard to judge, need to get a brag mate or tape measure on the yak ASAP!

[attachment=32280]4.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=32281]5.png[/attachment]

This was the little tacker that hit the lure 'on the troll'

[attachment]6.png[/attachment]

Cheers!

All fish were caught on lures i picked up at the austackle clearance, mostly the little sakanas (short fat lures) and one or two on the austackle lippless cranks

Well done Jords. Good to see our lures are doing the job for you.

Every Basso needs someone like you around, think of the money we would have all saved.

haha cheers mate. Since getting the kayak I reckon my lure loss rate has decreased dramatically, i think its time to start investing in some decent lures at last!

i take my canoe a lot of places ,comes in handy for getting lures back too .couple of spots we camp i fish off the bank and the kids play with the canoe and i use it to retrieve lures from trees .i pretty good at getting them in the trees .

haha cheers mate. Since getting the kayak I reckon my lure loss rate has decreased dramatically, i think its time to start investing in some decent lures at last!

i take my canoe a lot of places ,comes in handy for getting lures back too .couple of spots we camp i fish off the bank and the kids play with the canoe and i use it to retrieve lures from trees .i pretty good at getting them in the trees .

Yeah I'm getting better at balancing and standing to reach up nice and high :blink: . Yesterday one of my lures ended up a good 4 or 5 metres high, gave it an almighty tug, nearly took me head off flying back at me, and caused a little green tree frog to fall into the middle of the creek....It made it halfway back to the bank :woohoo:

Archived