Downrigging Dams

Jords

Was wondering if anyone bothers down-rigging for bass etc when trolling dams? I know it is used down south for trout, thought it might be useful for trying to get down to deeper schooling fish in deeper dams, particularly some Big W Bass?

I've got an Alvey sitting around with some 20 or 30 pound line and a snapped stocky baitcaster which I've broken down to the first guide, thinking of buying a bomb and using this out of my kayak occasionally? Worth forking out the 40ish for a 4lb bomb and a clip?

Cheers

Might be tough paddling a kayak towing a downrigger?

Yeah mate I thought it might, heard from a few people (who do it for kings) that it isn't too bad at all, also because I would only want to slow-troll then it doesnt make too much of a difference. Also if you can make the 'cable' thinner (i.e. use braid instead of wire) you can reduce the drag massively. Definitely think I will try it out soon!

good idea :) use fire line you'll never break it ;)

Hahah the bombs dont go cheap, don't know if I trust fireline ;)

But thats the other advantage, (in larger water) it can be very VERY dangerous if the bomb snags and you are stuck being pulled down and swamped etc, at least line can easily be cut/broken etc

yeah you wouldnt have much room to move!

Also, when setting downrigger height, do you do height you want lure-lure diving depthe, or will the lure not diver from the depth of the ball?

I would think the lure would dive to the depth it is designed to from the height of the ball depending on the length of line you are using.

I think I nhave a couple of 2lb bombs floaring around somewhere. Might even have a 7 pounder.

The lure will run at its normal depth below the downrigger. Ie bomb at 40 feet and a 15 feet lure = 45 feet.

Give me a yell if you want a bomb.

I used one once at npd to target bass at 60 feet but didnt use it again as the bass were only around the 30cm mark. I also had problems with the fish swimming around the downrigger lead. You get busier than a one armed paper hanger trying to play a fish and retrieve the downrigger at the swame time.

Probably better off using a paravane but then you will end up playing the paravane as well as the fish.

Cheers

Ray

what about trying to jig blades or icejigs through the schools you find sounding around. There are aussie designed icejigs these days specifically for our bass.

I have dabbled with downriggers offshore, but now go to bigger blades and 7" softplastics with better results

Archived