Barra Gun

Brian D

Angus I reackon that it will be just perfect on for the barra that we'll chase in the upper reaches and arms but for the main basin we are talking 120cm plus that's about 60lb.

I'll have the trolling rigs all sorted out so don't worry about that side of things. I'll make sure they are big enough.

What is the next size up in the Culcutta's? And what sort of rod? It's gotta be strong.

The guy that serves me at \"Tackle Warehouse\" on old cleveland road goes up to Awoonga for Barra a lot. I think ill be going to him for these question.

Ill come back and poart his response to me in this forum.

Or if anyone else want to talk to him personally his name is Adam Meredith.

Good bloke and knows alot about Barra.

He cant get over the Salmon on BRC either so feel fre to throw that in :P

Angus.

Brian D wrote:

OK - who says what is the best outfit for Awoonga. I read 1 report by a local that 50lb Braid with 60lb leader. That will take a bloody big bait caster! Does any one have any ideas?

Its not so much the line capacity, but drag capacity, if you run 50lb braid on a reel that can only run 2-3kg of drag, the fish has got you wraped around numerous branches before you can blink, need a reel that can lock up 6-7kg of drag like some of the daiwa reels can, but they arent cheap.

abu garcia ambassaduer 6000's are perfect for barra... esspecialy when stocked with 50lb braid... i have one and have caught barra on it at the aussie fishing park at bli bli does the job perfectly and are not all the expensive at $99 i bought mine 4 years ago when they were $130 and its still pumping... they have an extremely loud rachet for bait fishing and are great for hb lures and heavy soft plastics... its teamed up with a tiga rod i bought from ebay... bottom of the range at only $30 but it does the job...

my other set up will be a team daiwa viento baitcaster with an uglystick synergy 2000 rod the rod i got for $150 and the reel retails for around $300 but i got it off ebay for $260... its stocked with 35lb fireline xds which i got off ebay cheap as for $22

i would say the perfect barra combo would be either a daiwa millionaire or shimano calcutta for a reel... with something like a daiwa procaster as a rod... stocked with 50-60lb braid

troy

Archived