Score: Tuna 2.5, Me .5, Daiwa Interline -1

PlasticFantastic

Well as you've seen from previous posts i've been chasing a Longtail in the yak to no avail, that was until this arvo. Headed to Cleveland Point for a quiet paddle and see if there were any Squire around and as such was equipped for Squire not Tuna. I was hanging around and noticed a couple of splashes and the senses kicked into gear and I paddled towards the comotion to find some feeding Longtails just off the Point. They went under but I waited for them and noticed a very small ball of bait on the surface. The bait was only a couple of feet from the yak then all of a sudden a Longtail busts through them so I fire a cast and not two seconds later i'm on. Well to cut a long story short I got towed half way to Harries did twenty 360 spins cursed muttered and puffed my way through two hours of an epic battle to have the rod snap on me in the dying stages of the battle, that hurt to as it was a $550 Daiwa Interline TM-Z rod. I suppose that's what you get when you push your gear to its limit.

Now here's the thing I had the Tuna near the yak for near on half an hour and got my hand on it's tail but just couldn't hold it, does this count as a caught fish that wasn't landed or if you didn't land it you didn't catch it apply here. Any opinions?

post-5191-144598617736_thumb.jpg

Ouch

Cheers

Mark

Ouuuuuch !!!!!!!

Murphy's law mate, considering how many km's you've done in the Yak chasing Tuna to then find 'em under your nose and have that happen to your rod, daaamn !!

I would say a hand on the fish is a pretty good effort but given the saga of the last few trips i would love to see a pic hahahahaha just to motivate you more to do a few more km's on the Yak

I forgot to add I was solo at the time had no gaff and no net and only a 14lb leader so I think landing it was never a viable option. Also cheers to my mate Gordo who came down to Cleveland Point to make sure I came back in one piece, he got there and said he could barley see me on the horizon. I'm a sucker for punishment so i'll be there after work tomorrow with a more suitable rod and reel.

Cheers

Mark

ouch OUCH :(

You sound relativly composed considering your adventure!

I'd be still cursing black and blue.

For mine if you touched the fish while still hooked up then it counts. Much the same as grabbing the leader when game fishing.

well done and condolences on your loss...ouch $$$$$$

rod

I forgot to add I was solo at the time had no gaff and no net and only a 14lb leader so I think landing it was never a viable option. Also cheers to my mate Gordo who came down to Cleveland Point to make sure I came back in one piece, he got there and said he could barley see me on the horizon. I'm a sucker for punishment so i'll be there after work tomorrow with a more suitable rod and reel.

Cheers

Mark

Under those circumstances, bloody great effort mate, won't be long til you get one !!!!!

If I had a Yak would be heading out there with ya for a crack !!

Mate that is heartbreaking! I reckon I would have been in tears!

Full points for effort though.... I know what you mean about the bloody things circling and generally just not wanting to come in on light gear. I found it hard enough in a 4.5 centre console..... must have been a nightmare in a yak!

Awesome stuff and thanks for sharing :)

some big fish tearing the bay up at the moment. what actually happened? high stick next to the yak or just blank fail? just for sympathy's sake i too have fought a MB Longy for an hour and a half to get my hand to just brush its tail before it shook the lure free and casually sunk into the depths..... heart breaking. i personally didnt count that fish only because next cast i hit and single handedly landed another. how much juice do they have in the tank???? ...? ;)

Comba used was an Daiwa Interline TMZ 3-6kg with Stradic CI4 4000 with 18lb Toray braid and 14lb leader with a 3\8 jighead with a 5 inch Bass Assain in cleary purple colour.

Cheers

Mark

Wow Mark, must have been a great fight, that would have been a great fish if landed..But at least you gave it your all ;):)

Well Done ;)

bugga about the rod.

hmmm capture or not??????????? its a hard one for me to decide. i feel if you have the fish aboard and have it in your hands then it is a capture.

plugga said it's definately a caught fish, same senario as putting a tag in a fish boat side then cutting loose.

on the same lines, but it wasnt an intentional release.

this is an age old question that everyone has a differant apinion on. hmmmmmmmmmmm

dont get me wrong, it was a very very good effort, congrates on it, hopefully next time you will have a gaff

yep.. caught fish. And what a way to break a rod... way better than snapping it closing a door or during a bush bash.

Epic adventures man. I think you should buy a go-pro with a mount on your yak.

Yeah a gopro would be cool as i'd have some sweet footage by now, thought about using the phone yesterday but i didn't have enough hands.

Cheers

Mark

Archived