microsoft windows scam

Eug

just received a phone call from india claiming to be the tech department for microsoft stating we had an issue with our windows operating system. funny since i run linux and my new windows machine hasn't even been powered on yet. the only other windows machine is through work and not associated with the home number.

beware of these dodgy scammers.

Thanks Eug, The idea behind the scam is tell you they can repair it and talk you through how to create a VNC session which allows them to then access you machine remotely to "fix it" lol and well your pretty much screwed after that, they wil access anything they need!!!

I get a call from these clowns every couple of days. They get you to go through all sorts of tests, showing faults in the system (which showed up on my 3 day old windows system) then get you to give them credit card details so they can fix problems that never actually existed.

I now take there calls and try and waste as much of their time as possible, my record is over half an hour :) I know... I should get a life or go fishing.

i had the same thing i said i didnt what to improve my computer and loved the virius he tryed for days to tell me that it was no good for my computer,after about three days of trying to make me spend money i told them .thanks for the info and i will be taking my computer to a shop he just hung up have not heard from them since.

Important thing here to note is that Microsoft will never ring you unless you contact them first. And anyone ringing about your computer is a scammer.

I to have had the call 4 times now and as Eug does I to run only Linux on my computers..

I challenged one on one call and he abused me and I told him to %$#@ the %$#@ off and stick his tech advice up his #$% and thats not all..

Watch your back people.. Oh yeah watch out for the Tax refung scam...

Cheers..

cheers for the explanation manni.

good idea woody, i'll try to give that a go next time.

I figure the linger there on the line to me, the less time they have to rip off someone's granny. I just sound interested, keep finding excuses to get up like I need my laptop charger, then watch tv for 5 minutes and there still there waiting! Idiots! haha.

I get a call from these clowns every couple of days. They get you to go through all sorts of tests, showing faults in the system (which showed up on my 3 day old windows system) then get you to give them credit card details so they can fix problems that never actually existed.

I now take there calls and try and waste as much of their time as possible, my record is over half an hour :) I know... I should get a life or go fishing.

i told them to hold while i got the extension lead to power on my computer, then told them i found the lead but need to solder the head back on so please hold again, then i randomly went to the bathroom and took a slash + flushed with the phone in the noise zone then eventually got bored and hung up. i think i had him for about 30mins as well, he was a keen one!

they call themselves win pc technology or something and always have a mad name like hank chuck or fred. lol

I had 2 in the same week,

1st one i told them that i keep a condom on my computer to keep the virus's out, I kinda got abit of silence out of them before they hung up, (i dont think they had the script written down with how to respond to that)

2nd one, I told them its great that they have been into my computer, as i have a special bit of code written that attaches itself to any unautherised entry and wipes there computer and any on there network with in the next 2 days, they really did not like that one and hung up.

Me personaly i actually enjoy them calling me sometimes, as i get to take my anger out on the poor buggers.

Love that first one Robin that's a cracker. I had one on the line one day for 45 minutes having a good old convo. Asked about her husband and family, pets you name it anything to waste her time. Eventually just said ok well you have a lovely day I hear it's nice and sunny in downtown Mumbai at this time of year and hung up.

Archived