Haige park to boyne river holiday fun fish

T Fisher

Dad came up on holiday 2 weeks ago and stayed with us in his van for a few days.

I took some time of work to spend some time with him we took him out to haig park one day.

post-7578-144598627734_thumb.jpg

come on lets go

We caught a few spangled perch and my step mom outfished the rest of us by catching a nice yellow and a silver perch as well .

post-7578-144598627691_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598627724_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598627764_thumb.jpg

Kalebs monster

post-7578-144598627772_thumb.jpg

Kalebs first four wheel drive

Then we decided to head up Gladstone way for a few days befor dad headed up north a bit further.We stayed with my wifes sisterand her family in tannum sands and dad pulled up at the tannum caravan park.

we went out to the mouth of the boyne river one afternoon for a fish. My wife and oldest son had a fish that day while i kept the little fellow and his cousin entertained building sand castles collecting shells and walking on the beach.

Kylie got busted of a number of times on her rod so she decided to have a go at my heavier overhead setup wich has 25lb braid on it. She did remarkably well with it considdering she has not used one in over3 years . She didn't even get one birds nest. Kylie got busteed off on the rocks a number of times by what seemed like good fish . Funny watching her trying to break the 30lb leader when snagged she is not very big and was pulling with all she had.

Se did manage to land this one little cod amongst the rocks.

post-7578-144598627783_thumb.jpg

dad caught a couple of trevally ang fingermark a bit downstream away from the rocks. and my eldest son said he was getting lots of bites but couldn't hook anything Ithink he was more interested in his mp3 player.

We went back at low tide for a look and found one of kylies escapees with the line tangled around the rocks another small cod . We didn't realize how much rocks and oysters she was fishing amongst.

More to come

Dad and I Went out withthe brother inlaw in his boat a couple of days later with the idea of catching a barra.

post-7578-144598627791_thumb.jpg

nice boat it should always be hooked on behind my car

We went to the mouth of the river first but dad and i didnt have the right gear for the style of fishing Justin was showing us. He was using thready busters and small metal vibes castin letting sink to the bottom twitching let sink then twitching again and so on. my overhead and ugly stick was too heavy for this and I didn't think my bass outfit could handle what was supposed to be there. Dad and I did try with hardbodies and large soft plastics with no luck.

Justin did get a couple of strikes with one monster over 1m leaping out and showing itself befor spitting the vibe back at the boat. the current was getting too strong to fish ther any longer so Justn decided to take us upriver to another spot.

We stopped at a likely rock bank wich Justin said usually produces good fish .We started casting a mixture of hardboddies , large soft plastics and vibes. Within 5 mins a school of fish poped up behind the boat dad got a cast amongst them and he was on he got this gt in on a hardbody.

post-7578-144598627796_thumb.jpg

Justin had a couple of casts at the school with a large soft plastic with no luck then swapped to his light 2lb setup with a small soft plastic cast out acouple of twitches on and bang he was on. After a few minutes fight he also landed a gt.

post-7578-1445986278_thumb.jpg

on his next cast he hooked up instantly and out of the water lept a tarpon throwing his lure back at him. He had a couple more on but kept loosing them. meanwhile I still have the big gear trying to hook one on a vibe and dad was still throwing hardbobies. Justin still hooking up and got a couple close before loosing them. I thought bugger this grabbed my 6lb bass setup and started casting a small hardbody at them. I got one fish on but it spat the lure when it jumped. Justin offered me one of his Soft plastics i cast twitched and bang I was on. I lkanded my first tarpon of the day of around 55cm.

post-7578-144598627804_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598627809_thumb.jpg

The biggest tarpon i have ever caught before was around 30cm at colledges crossing these bigger ones sure fight well .

Justin got onto a 60cm straight after that

post-7578-144598627813_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598627821_thumb.jpg

We caught arround 20 more tarpon and lost even more in the next couple of hours. We chased the schools around in a stretch of the river about 500m long casting at the scools when they popped up.

I also managed a couple of small queenies amongst them

post-7578-144598627827_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598627831_thumb.jpg

more to come

The fishig got pretty intense and i didn't take many more pictures all the tarpon were above 50cm long

post-7578-144598627835_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598627839_thumb.jpg

Justins 2lb outfit all loaded up

post-7578-144598627843_thumb.jpg

The fish realy love this soft plastic

We did offer dad our rods as he only had heavier gear but he said his shoulders were getting sore and he was having enough fun being our net man and watching us try to outfish eachother.

Justins boat had a Minn kota i pilot bow mount made it great for holding position and cruising in on the schools of fish without spooking them. Although there was no barra landed we had a great fun time can't wait to get back up there and do it again.

ps when fishing for tarpon good idea to start with long leader and cut lute of above the worn line and tie back on every one or two hookups this way you dont lose as many lures especially on light leaders

Dad came up on holiday 2 weeks ago and stayed with us in his van for a few days.

I took some time of work to spend some time with him we took him out to haig park one day.

[attachment=35004]IMG_1187a.jpg[/attachment]

Gee your dad's tiny :S :P :silly:

Sounds like a top holiday. There's a few AFOers about that would die for a tarpon session like that B)

Archived