Kreel v Tbox flathead challenge

tacklebox

It was brought to our attention that Kreel and I have been MIA for the past few weeks. We're fine. We've still been fishing, just not posting as much due to work commitments.

I'll start this report the night of Friday 10 June when Sunstate Hobie held a 'Bream and Pizza evening' to discuss techniques and locations for the upcoming ABT round at Redcliffe. We don't fish in any comps but figured we might learn a thing or two. It was a great night made even more so when Mr Lucky Door Prize Kreel managed to win a Gary Howard Assault rod.

It was incredibly apt when Mal from Sunstate introduced everyone and described us by saying "I don't know what they do for a living but every time I see them they're about to go on or have just come back from a fishing holiday". We hadn't told him but we were just about to go down to Brunswick Heads for the Queen's birthday long weekend. :lol:

Bruns was cold, wet and windy and we only got out on the kayaks for one 2-hour session. I caught 4 flatties in the 40s and lucky for them we'd already decided to have dinner at the pub that night. Kreel didn't catch anything so I suggested it was due to his heavy leader.

post-2560-144598639499_thumb.jpg

post-2560-144598639504_thumb.jpg

post-2560-144598639508_thumb.jpg

Well didn't he show me up the following week by going down to 6lb and catching 7-8 flathead to my 1 at Ningi Creek. The best went 63cm with the rest in the 30s and 40s. He lost another good flattie and dropped his camera overboard while dealing with another fish so now I'm the official trip photographer.

post-2560-144598640496_thumb.jpg

post-2560-144598639512_thumb.jpg

Today was the best of 3 final at Caboolture. I was immediately on the board with a little whiting but we soon got tired of them picking at our soft plastics. I changed to a 5" armor shad and not long after caught a 63cm flattie in slightly deeper water. We both caught a few flatties and whiting, and Kreel caught a couple of good sized flounders to boot.

post-2560-144598639517_thumb.jpg

post-2560-144598639909_thumb.jpg

post-2560-144598639914_thumb.jpg

no joke. this is how i 'caught' this fish :blush:

Not sure who the winner is. Quality vs quantity? Maybe I should start a poll :P

Brunswick looked anything but inviting. Lucky you had a cabin !!

What was bringing the flathead to the line - blades, plasctics, or hardbodies ?

a few were trolling a damiki saemi at Bruns, one on gulp 4" minnow in nuclear chicken.

at ningi and caboolture it was mostly soft plastics: gulp 3" swimming mullet, 4" minnow, 5" crazy legs, damiki rippers and 5" armor shads in a variety of colours.

Spotted you guys heading north on the gateway at Nudgee on Saturday morning (late start hey?) with the yaks loaded ... figured you were heading out for a casual session somewhere, now I know where :cheer:

thanks for the report, always good to hear what you've been up to.

Spotted you guys heading north on the gateway at Nudgee on Saturday morning (late start hey?) with the yaks loaded ... figured you were heading out for a casual session somewhere, now I know where :cheer:

thanks for the report, always good to hear what you've been up to.

the tardy bird catches the fish... but not on that day. we had to run an errand out at redcliffe, thought about going fishing afterwards but for once we didn't have any rods in the car. the yaks are always loaded and ready B)

The job has made me a basket case lately, apparently they want me to work as well as look pretty!

We've had some highs and lows lately. The new rod, the loss of the camera, no fish for me at Bruns, most of the fish at Ningi and then a good all round session yesterday for both the gal and me.

I really needed a few sessions where we could just relax and we really can't go past Ningi for a good day out. We barely peddaled a stroke, just let the tide take us up river then back down again for the end of the session.

Caboolture was pretty relaxing as well but too many people around.

Ryan, Ahmedy, Rod in fact any of you guys are more than welcome to join us any weeekend and Scope we'd love another go at Bruns - its one of our fav spots.

We've been thinking about a trip to Straddy, taking the yaks and seeing if we can rid Tugger Rock of the feral whales. So if anyone is interested let us know, we have no dates and no idea where to stay but the desire is there.

Bruns:

Kreel: Krispy Kream

Tacklebox: 4 Flatties (Biggest 48cm)

Ningi:

Kreel: 7 Flatties (Biggest 63cm)

Tacklebox: 1 Flattie (Biggest 48cm)

Caboolture:

Kreel: 3 Flatties, (Biggest 57cm) 2 Whiting, 2 Flounder

Tacklebox: 3 Flatties (Biggest 63cm), 2 Whiting

... and the winner is Team T-LIPS (Tacklebox and Kreel) or Team Phill-Thie (Kreel and Tacklebox

Hi great report. You mentioned caboolture as being to crowded, i was wondering where this was.

I live at caboolture and am looking for a spot to fish in the caboolture river.

As Booty (and a few others will tell you) we're pretty laid back (read lazy) when it comes to fishing. We've fished Caboolture a grand total of 2 times and both times directly out from the boat ramp at the end of Uhlmann Rd. I do like the look of the upper reaches of the river though.

By too crowded I mean more than 3 or so boats. Any more than that and I can't feel the serenity.

As to our success fishing - I put it down to studying every ninja fishing skill tBox shows.

Archived