where to buy shark trace wire?

Joel Eadie

hey guys,

anyone know somewhere that sells coated galvanised wire? been reading up on it and it seems to be the choice material for shark traces considering the cost of steel wire (this is just what i have read), but i cant find it anywhere on the internet.

found this on ebay and bought some 98kg stuff [ebay]190545216329[/ebay]

looks and feels good (waiting for summer to get a chance to use it) but it seems pretty expensive, anyone aware of a cheaper option?

i get all of my wire from one of our surpliers called specifix... i get stainless steel coated wire form 80lb to 1,200lb for around 20-50c/m.

other wise you can go to doug burts tackle world, they have a big range...20lb- 400lb

tackle warehouse is another one that stocks a good amount of wire trace, or if you go to a long lining surplier, they have wire you can buy in the mtr as well.

just remember, you dont have to use wire for sharks, use circle hooks and 400-600lb nylon and providing the hook does its job, you wont get bitten off.........

Nylon does work fine. As a kid we used to go up to cooktown, fish all day then set the frames on a 300lb handline tied to a tree with a coke bottle full of rocks. No wire and was using small crappy hooks (probably 2-3/0. We would go to sleep then wake up to the tree shaking like crazy. First shark was 3-3.5m, four of us aged 10-14 jumped on the line and pulled her in. Everyone picked it up to get the hook out and get it deaper to release. Next one was around 1.5m.

It was pretty exciting seeing something that big on a line with just a flashlight at night. They were not aggressive sharks, someone said they may have been bronze whalers. Just goes to show you don't need expensive gear to catch them but it will prevent bust offs. We used to hook a few with braid on reels during the day but nowhere as big.

Next time I go home for a fair while I think I might have to do a trip up there again. Was a fair bit of fun.

On ebay, i had bought a whole heap of kamikaze wire, from 50lb all the way to 200lb. The prices are reasonably cheep, the traces are 25m each and they come will crimps as well.......

I found the wire worked very well, no complaints, just another suggestion anyway :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

A litle bit of topic but I'm after some tie-able wire around 30/40LB, to make some tailor rigs, anyone know who might have some?

Any decent tackle shop will have a range of single strand wire or hot melt wire which are both great for making quick and easy traces for Tailor and other toothy fish.

As for shark traces if you are going to only use circle hooks you can get away with around 100 to 150lb 49 (7x7) strand wire.

If you are going to use standard J type hooks you will need much heavier like 300lb 49 strand wire.

Circle hooks are great once you learn not to strike the fish when they take a bait.

Circle hooks and lighter wire will get you atleast twice as many hookups as heavier wires as sharks do get very fussy just like all other fish.

Archived