Buying my first yak - need advice!

Jororo

I am currently looking at buying my first yak and need some advice. I have read through some of the previous topics on this site and have quickly picked up Hobies are a favorite amongst members.

Below are a few details that may assist in giving advice. If possible I would love to have a few options to consider.

I want a yak that works well for both river and bay/ocean fishing.

My weight is just over 90kg and my budget was going to be a $1,500 but I have reconsidered and I am setting a budget of $2,500 fully fitted.

Also what accessories are a must??

Thanks for the help and any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jon

If you're after a Hobie $2500 will get you the yak and that's it you'll have to fork out close to $3000 and over for a new one with bigger rudder, turbo fins and sounder install. Second hand would suit your budget more. If you want a paddle yak there are brands like Viking and Ocean Kayak and for your budget you'll be able to fully kit one out, you just need to decide whether you want to paddle or peddle.

Cheers

Mark

yeh you will need to hook yourself up with a 2nd hand hobie in that price range. also you wont be able to get the Hobie Sport as you will exceed its max kg rating, so straight away you're off the entry level in terms of $$ for a Mirage Drive Hobie.

keep an eye on akff for a 2nd hand hobie.

As a side note down at the Sydney Boat show Hobie were selling the Pro Angler for $3100 ! nice!

Adventure outlet are having a demo day this weekend, I suggest you go along and trial all the versions they will have. Craig is very knowledgeable and will point you in the right direction. With that budget you will get a very nice kayak new.

Archived