Indo-Pacific Sailfish @ Rompin, Malaysia

happywally

Hey guys,

Went up to Rompin, Malaysia on 02/08/11 to target its famous light game fish... the Indo-Pacific Sailfish! :woohoo: Went out on the Crystal Coral Fishing Charters… the captain is none other than the famous Kok Seong (Adam), who is one of the most experienced charter guides in Rompin… he recently acquired a nice roomy new boat and launched it in feb this year… :cheer:

The weather was fine with a slight breeze blowing… we left the jetty at about 8am and started to make our way out to the fishing grounds… we stopped along the way to jig up some livies for bait… and when we had enough we pushed on towards our destination… the conditions were near perfect… the sky was clear and the swells were minimal… I was extremely excited! :woohoo:

We reached our destination and starting drifting out our livies using small balloons… in order to avoid the dreaded line crossings… we limited ourselves to 3 live bait line drifts at any one time… just as well anyway cause everyone else was jigging up squid while waiting for the sails to party… Yummy...

Literally 5 minutes after the first balloon drifted out… we hear the mouth-watering sound of Dad’s Twinpower SW going off… :woohoo: instantly he springs to action…
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxdq4B4sLtw

(ps. the mad cranking Dad was making at the start of the video was to try and recover tension as the sailfish was charging towards the boat… and I do APOLOGIZE for my commentary… I didn’t realise how excited I was… gosh I sounded off… :blush: and as for my accent… again I do apologize as my accent changes in accordance with my company…)

1st Indo-Pacific Sailfish of the day landed by Dad! :cheer:

CIMG0739.jpg

Albeit it was a small specimen… it was still an adrenaline pumping experience!

Kok Seong expertly resets the boat and out our livies go… soon enough, all 3 lines go off… let me say that again… ALL 3 LINES GO OFF! :woohoo: :woohoo: Unfortunately one of the sails goes airborne and spits the hook quite rapidly… :angry:

Mark & David on a Double Hook-Up!
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2bD-UR_4n0

David and his 1st Sail

CIMG0747.jpg

Mark and his 1st Sail

CIMG0750.jpg

Group shot

CIMG0752.jpg

Releasing the Sails to preserve this wonderful fishing ground

CIMG0755.jpg

On the next drift… Dad’s line gets a hit again! :cheer:

Dad fighting his 2nd Sail

CIMG0758.jpg

He laboureth not in vain

CIMG0763.jpg

Soon enough the majestic sound of screaming reels comes to my very own hands… :woohoo:

I’m ON! Man it’s a strong fella…

CIMG0766.jpg

My new Shimano Ocea Jigger 2000NR-PG working beautifully with the Shimano Blue Rose PE5 rod… :evil:

CIMG0767.jpg

While I’m having the time of my life… David’s line starts screaming again!!! :cheer:

Double hook-up again! David on to his 2nd sail!

CIMG0768.jpg

Working hard side by side…

CIMG0769.jpg

And back to back…

CIMG0771.jpg

An Excellent specimen for me after a tough 20 minute fight… :woohoo:

CIMG0775.jpg

Conquering the sails together… :evil:

CIMG0776.jpg

Right now its about midday, and the score is Humans 7 vs Sails 2 (2 spat hooks… :angry: )

Seeing as we’re up… the folks decide to do silly things… SILLY things… :whistle:

Dad decides to use his Stradic CI4 4000 because he “wants to hear the reel scream… :blink: â€
/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMPAbgsywBo

Stradic CI4 4000 vs Indo-Pacific Sailfish =

CIMG0779.jpg

And thanks to other undocumented silly nonsense not from me… we lose the next 6 sails… :angry:

Final score Humans 7 vs Sails 8

After wrapping up our fishing trip we retired to the local restaurant where they cooked up our fresh squid and various other bottom fish… it was a SCRUMPTIOUS dinner to say the least…

All in all a very very very enjoyable experience… something I plan to do again next year… the total cost about AUD$140 for a whole day trip with accommodation and dinner… an excellent deal! :woohoo:

Cheers for the read guys…

Wally

(PS. all Sailfish were released carefully and gently, with them swimming away into the depths on their own in good health… and kudos to all the charter guides at Rompin, Malaysia who practice C&R sailfishing to preserve this wonderful fishing ground for many generations to come… :cheer: )

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Wally,

Nice report.

Good to know that you had a ball of a time and a successful one at that.

I guess I'm lucky cos I can get to fish in Rompin quite often.. :woohoo: cos it's only a 3-hour drive for me.

The season has started and I will be going again and again to play with the sails... :P

Keep your reports coming. Nice read.

Cheers,

Jonathan

P/S: need to check that you paid AUD140 for a day's trip?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived