Shultz, Mud and brisbane river

RyanG45

well i met up with pat at around 6.30 at nudgee boat ramp keen for a day of fishing, we got the boat in and headed straight for jacksons. as soon as we got in to jacksons it started raining we thought ohh no (not in those words tho) so we pulled up on the bank and hid under a tree while we waited for the rain and while we were rigging up.

well the rain stoped after about 20 mins and back in the boat and drifted down jacksons, we were both soon on with a double hook up i had a small flatty about 35cm and pat had a well sized pike, flatty was released unharmed and the pike went straight in the esky. anyway after drifting down jacksons for a while longer pat hooked something and we thought ohh its a flatty, but we were surprised to see a nice sized sole

post-7369-144598664464_thumb.jpg

was quickly released and we were straight back to fishing. after about 4 more pike we decided to move, so back to the mouth of shultz and as we looked over the bay we thought wow the weather is too good to be true

post-7369-144598664478_thumb.jpg

post-7369-144598664488_thumb.jpg

so we thought lets go to mud, so made our way to mud very slowly with some stops along the way to try and get some jelly fish with the gaff and the prop (lets just say there was a lot of jelly fish parts floating around). we also stopped at one of the shipping beacons. we weren't there for long and we heard all this splashing and birds calling and we looked around and saw some fish breaking the surface so quickly tied on some slices and went to have a look but we were to late, didn't get to see what they were, but as we waited there for them to come back pat had some casts and got what we think is a jew not 100% sure might be a river perch. around the 15-20cm mark

post-7369-144598664498_thumb.jpg

post-7369-144598664508_thumb.jpg

we waited for a little while longer and thought nothing here lets go to mud so another slow trip there. got there anchored up baits out and pat said ahaha did you see that and i said what, that guys rod just got taken from the rod holder and took of, so we watched this poor man trying to find his rod and every time it popped back up he would try and get it but if he got to close it would just go back down so we thought a fish was still on it. after him searching for 20 mins i think he gave up and went back to fishing.

we also gave up fishing as we only got a couple little squire. headed back to the mouth of the brissie, got to the poop shoot and saw alot of bird activity so couple cast there with a flick bait in the pilly color and i foul hooked my first trevall that went 37.

post-7369-144598664518_thumb.jpg

not 100% on what species either. stayed there for 20 mins and then we decided to leave but on my last cast i foul hooked another fish we both thought its another trevally or its a bream but nope was a dirty spiky scat so quickly and carefully got him of without getting pricked and we headed into boggy to go home. on the way home i stoped into super cheap and as i was going in a fellow afoer just got into his car it was a dark blue mitsubishi pajero with big Brisbane Fishing online sticker on the back. was an interesting and fun day

cheers ryan

Possibly tuna cruising around the beacons, they are getting around.

Weather was verrrry nice today

The secret to telling a jew from a river perch is the jew hides yellowy gold in its mouth...

we thought tuna of some sort

was a nice day

and was swing more a jew rather than a river perch

cheers ryan

Definitely looks like a juvenile jew to me, it hasn't got the river perch snout :unsure: Its amazing the difference between the conditions between the port and redcliffe, flat around Brissy end and lumpy (first up till around 9) at Reddy.

ahaha yeah well it was glassed out untill about 12.30 1.00 then the wind and swell picked up a bit but was still comfortable

cheers ryan

Great report and photos, thanks!

PS. I've been trying to catch a flounder that size for a while. Brilliant eating fare! I got one last week, stretched 10cm from snout to tip. I must have been in a generous mood that morning cos I let it go :P

ahaha we thought it was a flatty it was caught on a 3" gulp shrimp

cheers ryan

Archived