Port of brisbane: catching live bait?

daki

Hi guys,

Went fishing couple of times to Port of Brisi in past few months, but I had no luck getting much live bait to chase some Jew. I was wondering if anyone could help or give me some tips how to find some. I"m thinking about launching from fishermen island tomorrow, still in search for my first legal Jewy. Just learnt to throw a cast net and have some jigs available. Any tips to help would be greatly appreciated :)

cheers,

daki

mate the poop shoot or known as luggage point theres plenty of bait around there, get on the northern side of it and cast back towards the river with your net as close to the wall as you can and you should get some bait, we always get bait there everytime, low tide seems to be the best. i hope that helps

cheers ryan

mate the poop shoot or known as luggage point theres plenty of bait around there, get on the northern side of it and cast back towards the river with your net as close to the wall as you can and you should get some bait, we always get bait there everytime, low tide seems to be the best. i hope that helps

cheers ryan

Thats the go :)

cheers ryan

Hi Ryan, thanks for that. I'm assuming that's near that wall with a pipe. Also there is a sign no fishing within 200m of it. Is that the one? If so, is it ok to get bait there, I don't really want to get fined :).

Cheers,

daki

Its is right at the mouth on the northern side just before the big stretch of mud flats. The area with all the water flowing out of it and a big concrete slab which people are always fishing off, yeah its fine to cast net in there - chuck your net right into the flowing current if you can, there is always a bucket load of bait there. Best of luck mate :)

cheers

Hugo

The other place to try is around the big lagoon that flows out of Boggy Creek. I have had far more luck castnetting there that trying to deal with the poo shute.

Go through the raised pipes and cast along the side of the channel. Usually I get 10-20 poddy mullet in 10 minutes there is also some good herring there.

Here is the map for your reference (don't tell anyone else :-)

post-6340-144598676158_thumb.png

The other place to try is around the big lagoon that flows out of Boggy Creek. I have had far more luck castnetting there that trying to deal with the poo shute.

Go through the raised pipes and cast along the side of the channel. Usually I get 10-20 poddy mullet in 10 minutes there is also some good herring there.

Here is the map for your reference (don't tell anyone else :-)

post-9585-144598676574_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have found cast netting next to the Pinkenba boat ramp (Kirra Street) very successful. Walk about 20 metres up from the boat ramp along the beach and it should produce a good bucket full of mullet. I have regularly made one cast and had enough for a good session.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived