Ryanyoung and Surfingant's Bass Expedition 11/9/11

Surfingant

Hi Everyone,

Ryan (ryanyoung) and myself were keen to hit up a spot that he knew of up near Imbil. Arriving at Ryan’s a little early as I was pretty keen we set off at around 4:30 aiming to hit the water at around 7:00 and when we got there we were greeted with beautiful weather and a great location.

post-7024-1445986780_thumb.jpg

We set off on our yaks flicking at every snag we could in the hope of opening our accounts, and kept flicking and flicking and flicking and it became evident fairly early on that this was not going to be an easy day. We came across two other yak fisherman who had said they had some luck further upstream in the direction we were heading so that was positive and we watched and chatted to them as they proceeded to pull in four reasonable Bass in front of us, at least they shared their lure choice with us if not the fish. We both paddled to the opposite bank and cast at a couple of snags and finally after repeated casts into one snag I opened the account with a small Bass, donut avoided.

post-7024-144598678012_thumb.jpg

Ryan and I kept on our way and I believe by this point Ryan had changed from his squidgy to a vibe but unfortunately it was still to no avail as the Bass were playing hard to get and only having half hearted swipes at our offerings, even with some of the awesome casts we were managing to put in because we’re pro hahahaha (we will just pretend we didn’t see the ones in the trees ok?). Anyway I was still persisting with a Warlock 52mm hardbody and trying to get nice and tight to the snags when finally I’m on again, another little one but I was taking anything at this point.

post-7024-144598678023_thumb.jpg

Continuing on upriver and many casts were put in but there was just nothing happening, I tried different lures, including a brand new Damiki vibe which lasted a whole four casts before being donated to a snag, and Ryan was trying out an assortment of hardbodies, plastics and topwater lures in the hope of a Toga but it just wasn’t happening. We decided to have a quick stop to sort out knots and rest our backsides, I tied my trusty Warlock back on and Ryan went to an Atomic I think it was and we were off again, and a little bit later on a cast that I actually half stuffed up I scored a tiny little Bass that had a big appetite, his dorsal fin was a little stunted too.

post-7024-144598678033_thumb.jpg

Well we were almost at the end of that section of the creek and were flicking into tiny little spots when Ryan, who had just tied on a H/B in a similar colour to mine finally says â€I’m onâ€, and a short little tussle later boats his first and breaks the dreaded donut.

post-7024-144598678044_thumb.jpg

We headed back to the launch area with not much action, I had one on for a whole second and dropped it because I was lazy with the strike, so we packed the yaks into the ute and made our way to another stretch of the creek. After launching at spot 2 it was again a case of a lot of casts for no action apart from Ryan getting a few hits. We paddled right up that section casting at everything and it was only when Ryan went back to his Squidgy and put it right at the base of a snag he’s on again, this fish was better and Ryan did a hell of a job staying connected because all it wanted to do was go back home and as Ryan was being pulled into the snag he’s thinking Cod for sure, but it was an angry Bass that went 47cm and was a really well conditioned fish.

post-7024-144598678054_thumb.jpg

That was the last of the action for the day, the fish just weren’t on the chew but that’s fishing as they say and I’m eager for another shot there when it warms up a little and the location is just beautiful which more than made up for the lack of fish.

Ryan ended the day with 2 Bass and I ended with 3 so the day could have been worse and that 47 really was a cracking fish. The drive home was also an adventure, let’s just say the scenic route was taken and there may have been an encounter with the wildlife, but that’s not really important is it?

Thanks for the day out Ryan I’m already looking forward to the next one.

Thanks for reading and sorry for waffling on,

Ant.

Cheers for the company Ant. It was a great day to be out on the water, although there weren't too many fish about lol. By the end of the day, we were casting with a great deal of precision, although a few were wayward ha ha ha!!!

The 47cm bass was maybe originally an escapee 'Gus, although judging by the power and dirty tactics, I would say he had been in the wild for quite a few years, I was lucky to land him as he towed me right into the snags.

I can't wait to get back out into the sticks for another flick, awesome location!

Cheers,

Ryan.

Certainly looks like a nice spot for a paddle and any fish caught are just a bonus, looks like it was out of the wind also. What sort of Squidgy did the damage on the Bass?

Cheers

Mark

Yep, 90mm Wriggler in evil minnow, on a 1/28oz jighead. Was going to throw you an invite mate, but it's not much of a location for glass yaks.

Well done boys, glad you didn't have to much fun without me! :lol:

Once you get the high 40's, low 50's bass, it's more of a challenge to get them out without being pulled into the snags yourself, they don't seem to have much of a problem pulling a yak :S

How could we have Jordo? You weren't there to land a wayward cast for our amusement :lol::P

Once you get the high 40's, low 50's bass, it's more of a challenge to get them out without being pulled into the snags yourself, they don't seem to have much of a problem pulling a yak :S

How could we have Jordo? You weren't there to land a wayward cast for our amusement :lol::P

Hahaha, I seem to remember somebody's first 5 casts all landing...."amiss". Although I did have my fair share :blush: :whistle: - gotta be in it to win it :blush:

Hahaha, I seem to remember somebody's first 5 casts all landing...."amiss". Although I did have my fair share :blush: :whistle: - gotta be in it to win it :blush:

Don't know what you're talking about :whistle: :lol:

Archived