wyaralong dam first community meeting

wicksey

promonightlafmaSEP9.pdf

promonightlafmaSEP9.pdf

Hi ian here , first timer.

I am grants co ordinator for the Logan and Albert fish management association inc,(LAFMA), this non profit fish stocking group have seeded over 700,000 bass and 40,000 mary river cod into these two wild rivers in the past 15 years

We have been invited by Fisheries Qld to stock bass, mary river cod and saratoga in the recently completed and filled Wyaralong dam which is 15 klms from Beaudesert on the Boonah rd ,and the closest dam to Brisbane. It is LAFMA's plan to make this A unique mary river cod fishery .THis is the only dam built in queensland in the past twenty years and may well be the last.

To view LAFMA,s full management plan for tihs project plese google our website LAFMA QUEENSLAND and click on wyaralong and download the plan.

To get the ball rolling we have called out first community meeting at Beudesert golf club, kerry rosd, on thursday 29sept at 7pm . Please view the attachment which list the top guest speakers who will talk on stocking , tagging and fishing freshwater.

A copy of a meeting flyer is attached to this post for your info.

Come along and participate in the future plans for this great fishery , wyaralong is over 20 klms long, has many side inlets/ features , not too large, and has a functioning fish ladder system that looks like working well( for a change ! ). After hearing and participating in the discussion you may like to join LAFMA on the night and help build a great world class mary river cod fishery by being involved with a great group of people dedicated to improving our recreational future. .

By the way, if you are unable to attend and would like to contribute you can donate to LAFMA to purchase bass fingerlings for 17 cents each to be placed in the dam in the new year , i will supply our bank details if you would like to help.

If you have further questions or comments please post here or phone me on 07 33445508

thanks

Ian

Here is link to their website.

http://sites.google.com/site/loganalbertfishmanagementass/lafma-and-wyaralong-dam

If anyone lives down Beenleigh,Browns Plains area you are not far away and it would be an exciting time to get in on the starting of a new fishery right on your doorstep.

I probably will attend the function on the 29th leaving Redland Bay around 5pm if you want a lift.

Will be worth the trip just to listen to the speakers.

Wicksey how much are your membership fees and can you join on line?

Cheers

Ray

Im working on that day so i wont be able to come, but Im keen on sighing up in the next few weeks.

I hope that no one adds any carp into this dam.

What type of fish is going to be in this dam, and what is the location of the dam, It might be in the web link but i have not seen the address and would be keen on checking it out soon.

Robin,

thank you for your enquiry.

Wyaralong is the first dam to be built in queensland in more than 20 years, and likely to be the last in SE QLD . Iit is located about 60 klms south west of brisbane, about 15 klms from Beaudesert. It is planned to have a mary river cod and bass fishery , funds permitting . Please see our website, google,

LAFMA QUEENSLAND, click on WYARALONG , and download our management plan which outlines our future plans for this lovely impoundment with loads of potential. if you would like to support our fish stocking but cannot attend our meeting, then you may join LAFMA on our website or give a donation which will be used to buy fingerlings

Yes Robin, we hope that no more carp make wyaralong their home, it is going to be a long term acheivement if we are to limit their numbers , but the secret is sufficient funds to put in as many bass and cod as we are permitted as they will predate on the carp very well.

ian

Did not know how cheap the bass fingerling were, so if every one brought $20 worth, this dam could have some kick ass bass fishing next seasion, The Mary River Cod fingerlings is abit dearer, but great idea to stock them so that I will have a chance at catching them.

On average how many of the bass and Cod fingerlings survive up to legal size.

The carp in this lake and its catchment system and the best asset we have to getting a top notch native fishery established.

Down in NSW and Vic in lakes like Mulwala the cod boom was a direct result of the abundance of food created from the carp population.

I for one am sort of glad they are there because the MRC and Bass should flourish in this lake.

I clearly remember the pre and post carp days in the Murray-Darling River System and even though in the early days they did do a lot of damage things have equaled out over the years with a ten fold increase in predator fish due to a sustainable food supply.

Hi Robin, thanks for your interest.

The bass are actually 17cents each delivered from the best supplier based in bundaberg. great fun taking them from big tanks on back of large truck, putting into buckets and into water. He has promised any spares for this coming season ( january) to wyaralong free of charge , provided we pick up , which should help reduce the carp population . Cod are $1.50 to $2 each , IF they are available, which is in doubt.

As to the survival rate of fingerlings i do not know but will find out the answer and respond later.

The cod are very teritorial and will kill each other even when 100mm long so the answer is to provide enough structure so they all have a bit of space to defend. LAFMA in the long term plans to introduce concrete pipes for them to claim as thier own and lay eggs in.

ian

I was out at the dam just after opening and living only 25min from the Dam I was very excited at the possibilities of a great fresh water fishing system. It looks like its in great nick and filled only just after it was finished being built. A great project to get behind and any fish is a good fish :D be awesome to get amungst some saratoga, bass...and when I first saw it I immediately thought of QLD's next monster barra impondment...but I think I'm dreaming :P

Shaun

It willl be too cold in winter for Barra to survive.

Bass I think run around 60-70% survival rate and cod and togas are a bit higher but there is many factors which are different in every lake which plays a big part in the mortalities of fingerlings.

Steve should be able to give more accurate figures hopefully.

Hi aussie 123, thank you for your info.

The info we have suggests that bass and cod will predate the carp provided they are in sufficient numbers.

If we can raise sufficient funds to buy the bass and cod fingerlings we have some chance of keeping the carp numbers under control, and RESTORING THE BALANCE . So please come and buy up raffle rickets, or if you cannot make it on the night please join LAFMA on the website or just donate, every bass is only 17 cents , and 80 to 90% survive to catchable size AND EAT LOTS OF CARP ON THE WAY.

Our approved plans from Fisheries Qld, based on their best science , allow us to put 225000 bass, 22500 mary river cod and 500 saratoga into wyaralong each year for the next 5 years.

THANKS

ian

HI Howie,

LAFMA plans to have a quality mary river cod fishery within five to ten years as under our management plan from FISHERIES QLD we CAN STOCK UP TO 22500 MARY RIVER COD PER YEAR FOR THE FIRST FIVE YEARS, along with 225,000 bass and 500 saratoga. This is all dependant on sufficient funds, so please come along to this first communtiy meeting and show support if you are able. Would love to see you there!!!

Would be nice to have barra in wyaralong , BUT few of the many that have been put unofficially into wivenhoe have survived the cold water temps in winter, despite the depth.

The dam has enormous potential for a top fishery provided the numbers of carp can be contained and we can raise sufficient funds to buy all the fingerlings we are approved for.

Thank you for your support and hope to see you on the night , or please join from our website, LAFMA QUEENSLAND

ian

I am with ray on this one.

MRC so far have failed to produce any half decent impoundment fishery to date with consideration to the vast numbers stocked into those lakes over the years.

I would prefer to see a viable murray cod fishery in the new lake but I guess the DPI would have a final species list that they would only allow.

Hi aussie 123,

i agree murray river cod would no doubt be an easier species, Glen lyon dam is a good example of producing quality murray cod on a regular basis. Fisheries are now very particular about stocking only local species.

The failure of cod to thrive , is , in my inexpertview, to do with lack of suitable habitat, this is something LAFMA is well aware off and our wyaralong management plan calls for actions to hopefully solve this problem.

ian

Archived