Mercury outboard servicing

spilt milk

Hi guys im planning on getting my 25hp Merc 2 stroke serviced and a new prop installed at the same time. Can anyone reccomend anywhere on the Northside that does a good job for a decent amount. I looked into Holt Marine as they are not far from me but they quoted $350 for a basic service without any extra parts or labor needed. Is this a fair price for a service or am better off shopping around a bit?

Thanks

Dave

heres somthin to think about!!!!

if it is only a minor service and in the end what you wana achieve is a correctly proped outboard thats maintained in good nick yeah.....

so wats that spark plugs and a lube if the tell tail is strong why do the impeller this service, it can wait til next service,its pritty easy and really is only a few bucks to do a lube check!!! with the money saved on the service buy a digital tacho,a genuine quicksilver digital tacho/hr metre is under $200 and to install it- black wire to the earth on the engine block red wire simply wraps around the spark plug lead 5-6 times its that easy to install.now you know wat rpms the engine is doin with the pitch prop ya currently running and you can prop it correctly , ring solas tell em what rpm your doin and pitch prop your running and they will sudgest a good prop to suit to get that donkey screamin put the left ova coin towards a new prop.

just my thoughts how not to waste money B);)

mick

Good stuff Mick... I think the bread and butter of a lot of service shops is 2 stroke servicing, there is so little to it that its crazy they charge so much.. But thats a good way to understanding your boat better as well as saving some bucks

oh yeah putt the money saved back into the donk!!! other things that you can do from the money saved , is to increase the air intake restricters (like 15 buck) stops the motor starving of air,gives it more air= more HORSES :woohoo: as a result swing a slightly larger diamiter prop go from a 9,3/4 to a 10 running the same pitch still need the tacho to assist this move though, invest in a set of h5 plugs they burn a little bit hotter owwwwwwwyeah and burn a little bit cleaner spend the saved money on macs corosion protection,

the list goes on and on.

Haha i like where this thread is going too. I ordered a new prop ftom solas yesterday found them to have excellent customer service and would highly recommend them to anyone.

The outboard is running a little rough keeps missing every now and then, i have replaced the plugs to no avail. Im more than happy servicing and working on cars but as this is my first boat i have no experience working on them and would rather pay the money to have it fixed right as i dont really want to break down on the water.

Spoke to Mal from creek marine, im taking it down on Wed for him to have a look at getting it running better and instaling the new prop and a new lower unit casing as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Good stuff Mick... I think the bread and butter of a lot of service shops is 2 stroke servicing, there is so little to it that its crazy they charge so much.. But thats a good way to understanding your boat better as well as saving some bucks

oh yeah putt the money saved back into the donk!!! other things that you can do from the money saved , is to increase the air intake restricters (like 15 buck) stops the motor starving of air,gives it more air= more HORSES :woohoo: as a result swing a slightly larger diamiter prop go from a 9,3/4 to a 10 running the same pitch still need the tacho to assist this move though, invest in a set of h5 plugs they burn a little bit hotter owwwwwwwyeah and burn a little bit cleaner spend the saved money on macs corosion protection,

the list goes on and on.

So is there a thread that deals with servicing? Where can newbies like me learn the things quoted above?

Archived