yellow tail and my first cobia

tyrion

Well what cracker arv i had yesterday, lunch time launch at fishermans island and off to the beacons for some livies and on towards curtin. Settled down to float some pillies while soaking a few livies, we played with some small snapper for a while before the first livie action a few picks of the livie was all it took to start the excitement but it was not to be, livie gone and no fish to speak of this happened 5-6 times and was getting frustrated. Then when we thought it was time to sit down and have a quite beer it was on....... the mates rod buckled over and braid started peeling off after a quick 20mtrs or so had gone and he managed to get the rod well seated in his pod the game was on. All other lines were quickly retrieved and deck cleared after a few long runs and plenty of grunting we had the first sighting of a nice yellow tail but he wasnt done yet done he went for another 5 min or so trying to get to the wrecks he came from. Once he had tiered up he came again to a waiting gaff. Once on the boat it was smiles all round, first kingie for the boat and first nice size king in the bay. As for length and weight well the brag mat and scales were still in the shed at home so ill have a guess at 10-12kgs and just over the meter mark.

post-889-144598701058_thumb.jpg

post-889-144598701069_thumb.jpg

A few hours, alot of under size snapper, and another 5-6 livies came and went before another serious look at my livie this time. The dissapointment must have showed in my face when line slowly started to peel off my livie rod my first thought was "bloody stingray" grabbed the rod and set the hook and still just a steady pace of peeling line "ok its on i thought" pumped the drag up on the 30pnd braid until i coould hear it singing as the current flowed past and began to put some hurt on this thing, next thing hes woken up and took a screaming run of 30-40 mtrs straight over the wreck and up on the surface i could hear it in the distance splashing about i turned to the mate and said " ill put $50 on a nice size shark" although i wasnt confident in bringing a shark in with 40pnd mono leader i was willing to give it a go. This "shark" came straight back to the boat and kept going past against the current and then down the other side of the boat, Some quick feet and steady balance seen me up on the front of the boat pass my rod under the anchor rope and down the other side and down he went for around 10 min it was gain 5 give 5 or more and then up he came again to the surface about 15mtrs out " yep it's a F#*$'n shark" i believe i said after seeing a big dorsal fin come out of the water. I decided to bring it to the side of the boat for a look and possible pick i began hauling it closer as he came closer the look on my face would've been gold to see as i realized that this was no shark this was my first Cobia and a cracker at that i started to worry that my tiny gaff was inadequate for the job of lifting this monster into the boat. gaff in the mouth and 2 hands around the thick tail seen the beast into the boat. After a few choice words and high fives it was time for that beer that we had missed out on earlier to recap on the last few minutes events. Once again no weight or length but he was 100mm longer than the cleaning tables at fishermans island so ill have to measure them when i get down there next, And felt (after the fight) 25ish kgs maybe more.

post-889-144598701079_thumb.jpg

post-889-14459870109_thumb.jpg

post-889-144598701099_thumb.jpg

post-889-144598701105_thumb.jpg

post-889-144598701111_thumb.jpg

post-889-144598701122_thumb.jpg

top effort.

you hear more often then never stories of sharks ( cobia ) cut of at night and sometimes during the day evan when they see them for the first time, and its usually from around that area as well. people misstake cobia for sharks quite often, lucky you brought it boat side.

congrats

awesome fish mate well done :woohoo:

when i hooked my big bay cobe i thought the same thing "bloody shark", it wasnt until it rolled about 5 metres from the boat and i got a look at the side of his body. once i saw that white stripe i was excited!!!

did u jig the pike off the beacons?

Well done curtin fishes well again, as long as there is no boat traffic and forget about weekend warriors if you want to catch good fish get there on week days or go of a night time. Cobes are not fussy gar, yakkas, whip tails what ever you can get your hands on but you need live bait forget about plastics. Yellow tail kings love yakkas and eat em like a fat person eats cheeseburgers. Top of the run in is best time and if runnin to hard forget about it. I have fished curtin alot and have pulled some great fish off it and certain species live in certain wrecks just spend the time sounding around. Also keep in mind that the bigger fish dont sit on the top of the wreck they patrol the outsides lookin for weaklings, so dont fall into the trap of puttin your anchor on the wreck, like we see so many weekend warriors do all the time and they wonder why they only catch 32cm snaps..LOL..iam speakin from my experince just took my a while to work it out must of had to many cheeseburgers.. well done again...

Cheers Jamie :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived