Bass Slaughter

dansike

I have been witnessing the "white bucket brigade" getting more and more prevalent in some well known bass haunts in the last few weeks!! Fisheries have been called numerous times and its always a case of "it will take hours for someone to get there". It breaks my heart to see these great sport fish being killed in this fashion. Last week I saw 3 fellas fill a bag with at least a dozen bass. One guy who was there also said the same 3 men had also been there on that morning and I can only presume they did the same thing. I think it's a fair bet they have been there on more than the one occasion too. Yesterday I saw 2 fellas in a canoe keep at least 4 bass, which is still legal I know, but I have a "feeling" they had more than that in their bucket. Last time fisheries were called, the answer was "sorry, the officer is on holidays in Bundaberg". What can there general public do to stop this from happening?? I am tempted to just stop fishing there as I fear I'll get myself into trouble when I explode with rage!!

That really sucks mate! Been seeing quite a few people in spots that are usually pretty quiet - part of the problem is that to get to it you park on a main road and show the whole world you're fishing there.

I took a mate out who asked if I we could keep a fish for a feed on the way home - being a poor uni student I couldn't say no, but boy did my casts get terrible on the way home!

As sad as it may be I think you need to look at the big picture.

The facts are

- illegal activities will never stop

- fisheries will never stop it

- the WBB are unlikely to put a real dint in the numbers from restocking + existing population

All you can do is keep calling Fishwatch and then turn a blind eye and enjoy your fishing.

Maybe you could join the Occupy group as they are accepting protesters with a gripe about anything :lol:

I feel your hurt its always a few that stuff it up for everybody,my other pet gripe is the rubbish left by mongrels and some of them call themselves fishermen. A true fisherperson looks after the area they fish in, take your rubbish home with you, it wasnt to heavy to carry it in so it should be lighter to carry it out.

Similar thing happens every where. Whether it's people fishing in the restricted areas on fraser island, people keeping flathead over 750mm, barra over 1200mm and undersized fish down the Goldie... I've seen it all.

Same deal with the rubbish, all the land based spots around here are littered with Gold Bomber and Slick Rig packets when the barra are on.

It's gross.

I don't say anything anymore. I had my thumb broken and all my gear stolen the last time I got angry and had a word to a group of these guys!!! There was a bit of a "language barrier" but I figure they didn't like the point I was "trying" to get across!!

Better to walk away shaking your head,than the possibility of ending up in court looking like a knuckle dragging neanderthal

I don't say anything anymore. I had my thumb broken and all my gear stolen the last time I got angry and had a word to a group of these guys!!! There was a bit of a "language barrier" but I figure they didn't like the point I was "trying" to get across!!

Better to walk away shaking your head,than the possibility of ending up in court looking like a knuckle dragging neanderthal

Agreed, it's just not worth it. There are so many out there that just don't care that saying something to one or two will only land you in either hot water, hospital or worse. Better to bite your tongue on the spot and ring fisheries with as much detailed information as you can give them, that way at least you have done the right thing. Draft up a letter to your local member or today tonight if you get a poor response from fisheries.

A few months ago i opened up a local asian newspaper, i was flicking through and stopped at an advertisement for a local restaurant. In this picture it showed the chef holding an adult Humphead wrasse/ Maori Wrasse, it was clearly dead, seeing as they were in the kitchen of the restaurant i'd say they were probably going to cook it as well. I was literally fuming when i saw this picture

Where they got this fish from is a mystery.... (forgive me if i'm wrong, but last time i checked they were a protected species and there is a no take policy as well?)

A few months ago i opened up a local asian newspaper, i was flicking through and stopped at an advertisement for a local restaurant. In this picture it showed the chef holding an adult Humphead wrasse/ Maori Wrasse, it was clearly dead, seeing as they were in the kitchen of the restaurant i'd say they were probably going to cook it as well. I was literally fuming when i saw this picture

Where they got this fish from is a mystery.... (forgive me if i'm wrong, but last time i checked they were a protected species and there is a no take policy as well?)

Absolutely right mate, totally protected!!

As sad as it may be I think you need to look at the big picture.

The facts are

- illegal activities will never stop

- fisheries will never stop it

- the WBB are unlikely to put a real dint in the numbers from restocking + existing population

All you can do is keep calling Fishwatch and then turn a blind eye and enjoy your fishing.

Maybe you could join the Occupy group as they are accepting protesters with a gripe about anything :lol:

Hahaha I might just do that,, im pissed off about a few things, it would be cool to see a bunch of random protest posters at the rallies "I hate sunny days" "I hate Germain Greer" ect...

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed, it's just not worth it. There are so many out there that just don't care that saying something to one or two will only land you in either hot water, hospital or worse. Better to bite your tongue on the spot and ring fisheries with as much detailed information as you can give them, that way at least you have done the right thing. Draft up a letter to your local member or today tonight if you get a poor response from fisheries.

2 words: vigilanty justice :lol:

Dino and I have seen many many yellow raincoats take enormous numbers of bass and goldens from NPD spillway pondage and the fisheries didn't do a thing then so it's improbable that they will anything now cos their time is being used "on more important matters".

One morning during the drought when fishing with Dino, 2 off duty fisheries officers were fishing next to us and saw and ignored bass thieves going their hardest across the other side of that patch of water. Off duty you know!

As Ellicat said, we have to live with this sort of thing and I hope they get a nasty gutfull from a rotten fish. :evil: :angry:B)

one word,

[attachment=42117]media.jpg[/attachment] and if you do enough jumping up and down it will work for a while....

the way i see it, if you try and fail its better than not trying at all and atleast you can hold your head high and say, at least i tried

Such good advice mate! Its really easy for us to sit back and have a whinge hoping someone else will do something... My advice would be gain evidence (pics, rego numbers, descriptions etc), learn how to write a media release and send it out, you might get lucky on a slow news day and have it covered by multiple news outlets. The process will move exceedingly fast after this.

Archived