ipswich tilapia cull with sons

T Fisher

The boys decided they wanted to go for a fish yesterday afternoon. As the grass is getting very long and I have been seeing a few signs of snakes in my Bass spots latley I decided a tilapia cull would be the way to go. We got to the quarry about 1.00 it was fairly hot in there. The tilapia didn't start to bite till about 1.30 but then they bit fairly frequently. By 2.15 they had caught 10 or so fish between them. It was still getting hotter so we decided that was enough time to head home.

Here is a few pictures of the little bloke with some of his catches the big fella didn't want to pose for any pics so the little bloke hammed it up.

post-7578-144598716869_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598716877_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598716883_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598716888_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598716894_thumb.jpg

post-7578-1445987169_thumb.jpg

I also managed to catch a yellow belly on lure in amongst my duties of baiting up and removing hooks.

post-7578-144598716905_thumb.jpg

The tilapia were all caught on worms suspended about60cm under a float.

We were only there a short while but we all enjoyed our time together.

Does anyone know if tilapia only grow to a certain size depending on the size of the water hole they are in?

They def get bigger is larger bodies of water. They seem to stunt themselves fairly quickly is smaller bodies of water maybe due to rapid reproduction. This is guess work based on observation nothing more but seems pretty consistant...

A couple of years ago when there was a big cold weather fish kill at North Pine there were plenty of these 50cm fellas up on the bank...

post-63-144598716912_thumb.jpg

They def get bigger is larger bodies of water. They seem to stunt themselves fairly quickly is smaller bodies of water maybe due to rapid reproduction. This is guess work based on observation nothing more but seems pretty consistant...

A couple of years ago when there was a big cold weather fish kill at North Pine there were plenty of these 50cm fellas up on the bank...

[attachment=43182]Tilly.jpg[/attachment]

I remember many years ago mid 90s I think when wivenhoe was pretty full for a couple of years we used to take the canoe to the bridges into billy 's bay and catch huge tilapia . They would tow two of us off the weed beds unto open water while we fought them. One time I had 5 in a landing net and could barley lift it . The biggest we have caught in this spot is about 20 cm long over the last couple of years.I would like to see my boys hook up to a big one as they realty fight well pitty they are sutch a pest.

Archived