2011 Austackle Brisbane Classic - Results

John

Mistakes happen and all we can do is rectify the situation and move on.

I have seen some massive blunders over the years in fishing comps and they will continue to happen for many years to come.

As for the rules I believe every fishing comp should be using the basic rulings of the relevant state fisheries and then build your competitions from there.

Anything that is not legal to keep should not be eligible to be entered for a competition whether it is C&R or some other format.

If the fisheries rulings are adhered to right from the beginning there should be no confusion.

Illegal to Keep = out

Legal to keep = in

I am so against the fact an undersized/illegal capture can take precedence over a legal capture no matter what the size or species is even in a C&R comp.

Agree with many of these points.

The illegal to keep issue is a hige problem due to oversize limits now as well.

Technically speaking when we judge flathead then a 70cm can beat an 86cm...

I think from here on out the general rule (still to be 100% confirmed) will conform (from a photo entry point of view) to undersize limits.

Hopefully this will keep more people happy. If not, (as a couple of PM's have suggested) I am just about ready to hang up the AFO hat anyway.

Angus

Mistakes happen and all we can do is rectify the situation and move on.

I have seen some massive blunders over the years in fishing comps and they will continue to happen for many years to come.

As for the rules I believe every fishing comp should be using the basic rulings of the relevant state fisheries and then build your competitions from there.

Anything that is not legal to keep should not be eligible to be entered for a competition whether it is C&R or some other format.

If the fisheries rulings are adhered to right from the beginning there should be no confusion.

Illegal to Keep = out

Legal to keep = in

I am so against the fact an undersized/illegal capture can take precedence over a legal capture no matter what the size or species is even in a C&R comp.

Agree with many of these points.

The illegal to keep issue is a hige problem due to oversize limits now as well.

Technically speaking when we judge flathead then a 70cm can beat an 86cm...

I think from here on out the general rule (still to be 100% confirmed) will conform (from a photo entry point of view) to undersize limits.

Hopefully this will keep more people happy. If not, (as a couple of PM's have suggested) I am just about ready to hang up the AFO hat anyway.

Angus

:huh::blink::(

From my point of view,the BRC is about fun and a bit of healthy competition. Prizes are a bonus, and most of are probably thinking our best chance is the lucky door prize anyway :P I am sure I speak for most of the entrants when I say that we really appreciate the time and effort of the people who organise it all and the sponsors. It would be an unusual event if there was nothing to be learnt from it, but let's all take a deep breath and move on.

Steve

From my point of view,the BRC is about fun and a bit of healthy competition. Prizes are a bonus, and most of are probably thinking our best chance is the lucky door prize anyway :P I am sure I speak for most of the entrants when I say that we really appreciate the time and effort of the people who organise it all and the sponsors. It would be an unusual event if there was nothing to be learnt from it, but let's all take a deep breath and move on.

Steve

agreed!!!! i registered for the classic but unfortunately couldnt fish it due to be flat out with other commitments. Its far from a seriously competitive event and i think people should treat it as such.

Hi guys, sounds like most of you had a great time at the Comp despite the weather, there will always be discussions about different rules in comps.

While i have only ever fished one AFO comp, this years SOO, i found it to be run very well with good friendship amongst the competitors.

I fish several comps throughout the year with all different rules ie, C and R, whole dead weigh in and gutted and gilled they all have different rules and it is up to each competitor to know these rules and fish accordingly.

Personally i don't have a problem with photographing oversize and undersize fish, jew, flathead and any other species for that matter and having them recorded in C and R comps.

Apart from whiting i release nearly all my fish, some after many photos and measuring.

As long as the fish are looked after there is no problem releasing them and they swim away strongly, before anyone makes the comment yes i have asked fisheries officers i have met on the water about this and they didn't have a problem.

I guess it is possible to come across an officer who might think this is wrong, but to me it is about how you look after the fish not how long it is in the boat.

I have seen undersize fish released with no hope of survival after only a couple of seconds in the boat while the angler pulls his 10 cent hook out and breaks the fishes gills rather than cut it off, giving the fish the best chance of survival.

I also think Angus, his moderators and administrators do a great job running everything, it is a tough job but they do it extremely well. cheers wayne

Hi guys, sounds like most of you had a great time at the Comp despite the weather, there will always be discussions about different rules in comps.

While i have only ever fished one AFO comp, this years SOO, i found it to be run very well with good friendship amongst the competitors.

I fish several comps throughout the year with all different rules ie, C and R, whole dead weigh in and gutted and gilled they all have different rules and it is up to each competitor to know these rules and fish accordingly.

Personally i don't have a problem with photographing oversize and undersize fish, jew, flathead and any other species for that matter and having them recorded in C and R comps.

Apart from whiting i release nearly all my fish, some after many photos and measuring.

As long as the fish are looked after there is no problem releasing them and they swim away strongly, before anyone makes the comment yes i have asked fisheries officers i have met on the water about this and they didn't have a problem.

I guess it is possible to come across an officer who might think this is wrong, but to me it is about how you look after the fish not how long it is in the boat.

I have seen undersize fish released with no hope of survival after only a couple of seconds in the boat while the angler pulls his 10 cent hook out and breaks the fishes gills rather than cut it off, giving the fish the best chance of survival.

I also think Angus, his moderators and administrators do a great job running everything, it is a tough job but they do it extremely well. cheers wayne

totally agree Wayne your wisdom shines through mate :)

has anyone asked the fish how they feel about all of this? :huh: :silly:

as crazywalrus said there a great social event and the prizes just give it a little more pressure ;)

And yeah I new my bream was bigger then hugos 317mm I just aussmed there was somthing wrong and mine hadnt been enter for some reason

Joel

yeah Joel i heard that u got that decent bream. I was very surprised when my number was called but i just assumed that u must have been messing with us when you told us that you got a 34 :P sorry mate

Hey Runty - It is my understanding that you no longer came third for the Bream area. If this is the case You can have the Rod from the Catfish division. Mate you looked so proud up there. It was good to catch up with all you guys. I nice bunch of kids, your parents should be proud.

I believe it was HFisho7 (hugo) that was awarded third not runty

Cheers

Joel

Oops :D Well send me a pm hfisho7 I live in Alderley.

yeah i was the one that originally got third bream, that was me fishing with runty in his tinny.

Members,

Please see this thread before you comment further
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/19-brc-event-suggestions/384315-suggestions-and-2007-brc

Cheers

Just read this post and have to agree wih Brian's points.

I have not been following this thread intently and have to ask how it got so negative... It disturbs me that Angus is talking about hanging up his hat. For me it doesn't matter about winning, don't get me wrong my wife would love me to bring some more fishing gear home, not, lol. But at the end of the day Angus and the team are doing all this work because they love fishing and obviously the site.

Angus refuses to add a fee to become a member... If someone isn't happy then may be another site full d/heads is the site for you!!!!

rayke1938 wrote:

As far as the prizes go I am quite happy with my second spot and think that it is unfair Ted should have to hand his back.In fact we have came to an agreement and Ted very generously has donated his rod to another contestant.

We never mentioned that the people awarded incorrect place getter prizes will be handing them back. Please don't jump to conclusions, we in now way want to disadvantage the people who were awarded the incorrect prizes on the day due to our mistake.

HUMBLE APOLOGY FOR JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS.

ONYA AUSTACKLE FOR YOUR VERY GENEROUS OFFER.

I have just been rereading the whole thread and really think that a lot of the comments have been made with tongue in cheek and typical BPO banter rather than having a chop at the organizing team who in my opinion have done a really professional job way above some of the standards exhibited by comps on other sites.

Cheers

Ray

Angus, Johnny and other AFO Admin behind the scenes. Cheers for running another BRC.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to come down to the bbq, as my car had broken down earlier in the week so was limited to bumming transport of others, and my mate who I was fishing with had to go home early Sunday.

It was disappointing to bring in nought on the shark front, but it seems a few had the same. It was painful dragging in my 20 kilo sandbag though. ugh. (annoying not to get a bite, even more annoying when your sandbag connection doesn't bust how you want it to)

There is always going to be someone complaining, as it is impossible to keep everyone happy. I'd just like to repeat my thanks though. I greatly appreciate you guys running the event every year, even if I wasn't able to land a shark, or get down to the bbq to say gday to everyone.

Keep it up!

Hahah heaps of fuss going on here. Angus and the team, great job!! There was so much happening on the fly with the weather being totaly unpredictable of the day and with the impending massive storm it seemed that we had about 5 minutes to get the awards done! But thats life, I had a great weekend and it was a real pleasure to meet so many afo members Id never met before, especialy seeing the passion of a couple of the younger fellas who spent a bit of time pulled up alongside my boat throught the weekend for a chat like Runty and co and Ryan G, Good to meet you too Plugga (Still trying to get my head around that boat, what a weapon) and ellicat who reminds me so much of my bi-polar uncle who entertained us at parties but then needed to go back to his "Special House" with the big nurses in white uniforms through the week hahaha :P:P:P great blokes.. Sorry I didnt get to spend some time with you Angus, Id been intending to say Gday but it was pretty busy.

I just want to remind everyone that this was a social comp.. there were no million dollor prizes and everyone met as a community and had a great time, what makes this site a cut above is that it isnt just a forum it is a community and thats what we always need to come back to not nit picking over tiny things here and there. We all know for a fact that the AFO guys did thier best to put this event on for US TO ENJOY!!! haha brilliant work.

I was sad to here some backstabbing and comments about members not there at the BBQ by one or two members but was really impessed by how some of the senior guys shut it down quick.

Im really proud to be a member of this sight and Im quite a little evangelist when it comes to telling people about it, lets keep sight of why we are members.

Brad

Hey Runty - It is my understanding that you no longer came third for the Bream area. If this is the case You can have the Rod from the Catfish division. Mate you looked so proud up there. It was good to catch up with all you guys. I nice bunch of kids, your parents should be proud.

hahaha yesss it was hugo that got the bream 3rd prize :P

That is very nice of you crazy, it waas great meeting you and ellicat.

i loved the BRC it was great to meet others on the site.

Thanks Angus and others for running the event.

Hahah ...... and ellicat who reminds me so much of my bi-polar uncle who entertained us at parties but then needed to go back to his "Special House" with the big nurses in white uniforms through the week hahaha :P:P:P great blokes.. ....

Brad

What's his name ? Sounds like the fella in the next room :whistle: :lol:

Good to meet you too Brad. A bit of a longer chat is in order next time.

Archived