2011 Austackle Brisbane Classic - Results

John

You have Ted and myself reversed . ted had longest catty.

Cheers

Ray

Hi Ray,

Actually we made the error in awarding Ted 1st Place when from reviwing it we believe you actually should have won it.

Your largest Catfish was by our reckoning 582mm and ted's was 575mm.

That was one of the errors.

The others was the placings for Best Misc and also 3rd Place for Bream.

As mentioned above we will contact all affected and put right. Sorry all again for the mishap.

SPEWINNN! shouldve entered Miscellaneous catergory!!

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Ah never make those claims post event :P

Like we tell the kids at school. To bad to sad, ahahaha.

Its the same as photographing everything you catch. There is always someone who is like "oh man, but I didnt think my "whatever" would be good enough"!

Angus

Feeling a downer right now...Didnt enter because i made the assumption people would be entering with 1m+ jewies you see from poo shoot etc.

went fishing friday & saturday night, pulled up 3 jewies, 1 74cm, 1 69cm, 1 68cm...

note to self: NEVER EVER ASSUME! GOTTA BE IN IT TO WIN IT :sick: :sick:

however, congrats to all that place in the competition, im just a sore loser with a what couldve been, shoulve been story.

ps. will be entering every competition from now on. :lol:

SPEWINNN! shouldve entered Miscellaneous catergory!!

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Ah never make those claims post event :P

Like we tell the kids at school. To bad to sad, ahahaha.

Its the same as photographing everything you catch. There is always someone who is like "oh man, but I didnt think my "whatever" would be good enough"!

Angus

Feeling a downer right now...Didnt enter because i made the assumption people would be entering with 1m+ jewies you see from poo shoot etc.

went fishing friday & saturday night, pulled up 3 jewies, 1 74cm, 1 69cm, 1 68cm...

note to self: NEVER EVER ASSUME! GOTTA BE IN IT TO WIN IT :sick: :sick:

however, congrats to all that place in the competition, im just a sore loser with a what couldve been, shoulve been story.

ps. will be entering every competition from now on. :lol:

They are always fun and a great way to meet people. I have met so many good people and have learnt so much from them. I never have to go out fishing on my own now. The Comps are great. I have not missed one since I joined a couple of years ago.

one question shouldn't the Flatty win for the Misc as it is the only legal entry followed by the Snapper???

Agreed. I thought the fish had to be legal......?

This also crossed my mind.........

And last year, an angler caught an under sized jew which was not allowed to be submitted........ :S

one question shouldn't the Flatty win for the Misc as it is the only legal entry followed by the Snapper???

I guess it may not have been made too clear, but any size fish were able to be judged. The restrictions for under/oversize fish were not applicable for this year's BRC.

We have had different rulings over the years for different comps, so we understand we probably haven't made it easy for competitors to keep in the know, so we will (after some advice) make this ruling clear for all our future competitions and events.

Hope this clears it up and will have some more definite terms going forward.

Congrats to all the place getter's and to all that fish the comp with all the crappy weather around and to the organising committee along with sponsor's.

I just have 1 question about the results and not trying to start a shit storm and yes I have read what was put up by admin.

With this topic being so red hot of late (photographing undersized fish)I thought the every thing would of been done by the AFO community to ensure that all winning entries would be of fish that meet the legal requirement's set down by the governing body

P.s just want to let people this in not a case of sore grape's for having a fish in the comp that didn't place as I didn't fish the comp as I had prier arrangements for last weekend.

Cheers dassa

You have Ted and myself reversed . ted had longest catty.

Cheers

Ray

Hi Ray,

Actually we made the error in awarding Ted 1st Place when from reviwing it we believe you actually should have won it.

Your largest Catfish was by our reckoning 582mm and ted's was 575mm.

That was one of the errors.

The others was the placings for Best Misc and also 3rd Place for Bream.

As mentioned above we will contact all affected and put right. Sorry all again for the mishap.

I noticed 3rd place for Catfish has changed also.

A shame as I had a nude dance ready that I'd been practicing all week in the lead up in case I got a go on the stage. Showed SurfingAnth a bit of it out on the water Saturday and Ted saw part of it when I was retrieving the anchor too, and Tina and Eug because Tina demanded it and Kreel and tBox tried to encourage me when I was warming up on the way to the presentation house. The fact it was raining would have just added to the tease :lol:

Congrats to all the place getter's and to all that fish the comp with all the crappy weather around and to the organising committee along with sponsor's.

I just have 1 question about the results and not trying to start a shit storm and yes I have read what was put up by admin.

With this topic being so red hot of late (photographing undersized fish)I thought the every thing would of been done by the AFO community to ensure that all winning entries would be of fish that meet the legal requirement's set down by the governing body

P.s just want to let people this in not a case of sore grape's for having a fish in the comp that didn't place as I didn't fish the comp as I had prier arrangements for last weekend.

Cheers dassa

Dassa I think the point about photographing/targeting fish was for the removal of a potentially breeding fish during closed season. You would still need to remove a fish to measure in order to determine if it was under/oversized/legal sized.

They're not -1 in the BRC :evil:

Nice shark Eug. Pity you can't catch a barra :pinch: :P

:lol:

The shark was my trump card :P

Even though I missed that sneak comment, Tina made a mention of it in the car.

T: Did you know what Brian said when you were up there?

E: I missed it initially but he filled me in afterwards.

T: HHAHAHAHAHAHA sucks to you.

E: Prick... :kiss:

p.s.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------barra------------------------------------------->

I have to admit that I did not read the rules prior to competing however as a regular competitor and supporter of the competitions I thought I had the low down on the rules. Over the past comps since joining the rule of only legal fish had come in. This had been the Case since about the BRC last year. In Fact Decaln catching a 72cm Jew last year in the BRC was ineligible with this entry as it was not legal. During the MBC and the SOO this ruling was the case. When did the ruling change?? I think a lot of the regular competitors may have thrown back some entries thinking they had to be legal.

This is not sour grapes as we are not competing for sheep stations here and the main reason I compete is to have the social however this is not a good look in my opinion. I do not normally air these disagreements rather just let them ride. My concern is for entrants that may have one the Misc Category in this case did win the Misc and was given the prize and later had it taken off him. In my eyes he was the winner as the Jew where not eligible.

When did the Rule Change and how was it published? We only just got used to it an now it has changed??????

Didnt fish the comp.... didnt attend the BBQ or prize giving.... dont know what happened at the presentation with prizes going back and forth.... BUT

I think the entering of undersize fish by way of photos is not a good look. Those pics will do the rounds of the forums, will end up on message boards, and will all have links back to a Brisbane Fishing Online fishing competition where they a) kept fish out of the water longer than necessary for photos and B) won prizes by entering those pics in the competition.

I honestly think if you catch an undersize fish, you throw it back. You catch a marginal fish in size, you measure it and then throw it back if undersize or photograph it and throw it back or keep it if legal. If you catch an oversize fish, you measure it, quick photo as proof and then throw it back, swimming it or doing whatever is necessary to revive and survive.

I dont know who caught the flathead or snapper and therefore not batting for them or against them, but the idea of publishing winning results with undersize fish just does not sit well with me.

And as a footnote, I am not having a chop at the jewfish entries either. They submitted their entries in accordance with the rules.... its the rules that need to change.

Hey Runty - It is my understanding that you no longer came third for the Bream area. If this is the case You can have the Rod from the Catfish division. Mate you looked so proud up there. It was good to catch up with all you guys. I nice bunch of kids, your parents should be proud.

I believe it was HFisho7 (hugo) that was awarded third not runty

Cheers

Joel

Hey Runty - It is my understanding that you no longer came third for the Bream area. If this is the case You can have the Rod from the Catfish division. Mate you looked so proud up there. It was good to catch up with all you guys. I nice bunch of kids, your parents should be proud.

I believe it was HFisho7 (hugo) that was awarded third not runty

Cheers

Joel

Oops :D Well send me a pm hfisho7 I live in Alderley.

Only your longest fish (fish over the max legal limit can be submitted as long as they are immediately returned to the water in good health), per species is eligible for prizes. Should you wish to upgrade your catch it will replace any existing fish you have previously entered for that species.

i can only find this one
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/competitions/event-rules-and-conditions

i haven't bothered reading the rules for a while,but i haven't really fished either ,too busy being social and sleeping ,lol

i think there where a few post saying check the rules and about the rules ,but with all the chat about legal and illegal fish it has all got a bit confusing .

I do not think that we can argue about the rules after the event they were published for all to read beforehand and to my recollection no one questioned them.\

Maybe we need to think about having a standard set of rules for all events in the future;

As far as the prizes go I am quite happy with my second spot and think that it is unfair Ted should have to hand his back.In fact we have came to an agreement and Ted very generously has donated his rod to another contestant.

I certainly did not raise the matter in an endeavor to raise my standing on the leader board and did not look at the measurements and just thought that Ted had been incorrectly been given 2nd place after being awarded first prize at the event.

Cheers

Ray

Maybe we need to think about having a standard set of rules for all events in the future

Hi Ray,

Yes we have been working over the years to get a standardised set of rules for our events to make it easier on us organising the event and for competitors competing in AFO events.

Apart from the ruling of undersize/oversize fish, the rules have been fairly constant for a while now, although we do still recommend people read the rules before each event as after each event we do a review and try to work out what should be improved/changed for the following event. It is not our fault if people do not take the time to read the rules for each event.

As far as the prizes go I am quite happy with my second spot and think that it is unfair Ted should have to hand his back.In fact we have came to an agreement and Ted very generously has donated his rod to another contestant.

We never mentioned that the people awarded incorrect place getter prizes will be handing them back. Please don't jump to conclusions, we in now way want to disadvantage the people who were awarded the incorrect prizes on the day due to our mistake.

I certainly did not raise the matter in an endeavor to raise my standing on the leader board and did not look at the measurements and just thought that Ted had been incorrectly been given 2nd place after being awarded first prize at the event.

Just so everyone is aware, we did not receive any protests/complaints, we just did a proper review of all the entries later that afternoon and found that we had incorrecty awarded some prizes. We obviously felt it the right and honest thing to correct our mistakes - even though it is going to cause an administrative headache and also won't be welcomed by everyone. It is unfortunate and we do sincerely apologise but at the time we did our best to get the best result but it was pretty chaotic with the weather turning bad right on cue.

Also with regard to the issue of undersize and oversize fish, we will make a decision on that before the next event and enforce the new ruling. We will never make everyone happy with what we decide, but I guess the thing for people to remember is that either way (undersize or oversize) the fish needs to be measured in the first place to see what it's actual size is, so is another second or so to take a photo really going to make that much of a difference?.

Conversely, if people are not happy with that, the other option is to just go back to only allowing dead fish to be brought in for weigh in.......

Ah.... come on. Fish that are 9, 12, and 14cm undersize do not need to be measured and then photographed with the unique item before deciding to throw them back.

Most boaters have a sticker with measurements you can hold the fish up against to get an idea if its going to be worthy of more attention.

When you revisit the rules prior to the summer classic, please consider not fostering the extended handling of fish that should be returned to the water without delay.

Mistakes happen and all we can do is rectify the situation and move on.

I have seen some massive blunders over the years in fishing comps and they will continue to happen for many years to come.

As for the rules I believe every fishing comp should be using the basic rulings of the relevant state fisheries and then build your competitions from there.

Anything that is not legal to keep should not be eligible to be entered for a competition whether it is C&R or some other format.

If the fisheries rulings are adhered to right from the beginning there should be no confusion.

Illegal to Keep = out

Legal to keep = in

I am so against the fact an undersized/illegal capture can take precedence over a legal capture no matter what the size or species is even in a C&R comp.

Thanks John for the reply - Those rules do not seem to have changed much. For point of clarifiaction as I and others are a little confused.

1. When did the Rule for fish needing to be legal come into effect?

2. Do you mind posting the transcrit of the text regarding this?

3. Which events in the last 12 months did point 1 apply.

4. When did the requirement change?

This will help with our understanding.

Regards Ted

Archived