A day with Bargy in Hervey Bay

cy1301

Hi guys,

I watched the very first fishing dvd video ans saw Mark Bargenquest fishing in the Maryborough River pulling out metre plus barras and have followed it ever since. I knew I wanted to go fishing with this guy.

Its been a few years since and yesterday I finally got a chance to go fishing with him for pelagics in Hervey Bay.

I woke up at 12.20am left the house at 12.30am. Drove for an hour to pick my mate up from his place in Brissie. We share the 4 hr drive to Hervey Bay and got there at 5am. Had brekky at Maccas, bought some ice and got to the Urangan boat ramp to meet Mark.

Mark met us with his new 6m gale force (I think) and a quick yake about what we are doing today while loading our gear on.

After about an hour or so in travelling time, we were greeted with diving birds and bust ups everywhere.

post-9434-144598728518_thumb.jpg

You know when you get really excited when you see a bust up?? From what I can count, we can see about 10 bust ups around us, it was that good.

I also bought a new daiwa set up and intended to blood it on this trip and blood it I did :)

Approaching the first bust up, we cast just shy of the school with no hook ups, after a few trys, Mark said to cast right in the middle of it and that we did. Now, Joseph is kinda new to fishing and the first tuna he hook gave him hell LOL ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz .........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ... He was holding on to his dear life not knowing what to do. I laffed so hard. After 10 min or so, he landed his first ever tuna.

post-9434-144598728559_thumb.jpg

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7HtlRDNZRU

post-9434-14459872855_thumb.jpg

Jo also landed a tuna that was attacked by a shark

post-9434-144598728534_thumb.jpg

The morning continued with bust ups everywhere and after landing a few tunas, we really wanted some mackeral to bring home. So Mark, our guide travelled north abit in search for our fish. Came across some bust ups again and seeing slashes on top of the water, Mark called them as Mackerals and sure enough, I am onto my first spotty :) Then they are gone :( Found another bust up nearby and casted again. I hooked up again but lost a mackeral by the boat. Another cast was fired straight away ....hook up!! .... lost it .... hook up ....lost it again ....HOOK UP again!!! From one cast its awesome. Manage to land this one. Joseph landed a spotty too and its also his first spotty. He hooked another one but a mutton bird also got caught at the same time by his line, Jo lost his spotty. After that, theres alot of follows with no hook ups. By 9.30am, we were like, no more tuna please. We were trying to get spottys but the tunas were so thick that they keep smashing our lures.

Mark took us to the flats in search of bigger fish. At the flats, in about 12ft of water, we saw 6 hammer head sharks to about 12ft in size, schools of longfin tunas, rays, dolphins, etc. Jo landed yet another mac tuna at the flats. We had lunch and went back to the bust ups hoping to find more mackeral.

They were not as friendly this time round. Once we approach the bust ups, the go right down. I hooked onto 3 fish in this time round but lost all 3 as well. This went on for an hour or so, Joseph would like a cod so Mark suggested to do a troll at one of his spots.

We deployed the deep divers out and after 15 min, Joseph's reel went ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... after a tug of war, he landed his first ever cod!!

post-9434-144598728525_thumb.jpg

After a quick happy snap on the camera, we were off again. After another 10 min or so, it my turn!! Reel went off and I was fighting the fish and suddenly I felt that the fish came off .... I pull it in and WHAM!!!!! I got another fish on.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw74HK3jRQs

I landed my first ever Golden Trev!!! There's no brag mat on the boat and Mark estimated the fish to be at 85cm :)

post-9434-144598728543_thumb.jpg

After a quick pose for the camera it was returned to fight another day.

In whole, its has been an awesome day with new experience of Joseph and myself. Jo landed his first Tuna, Mackeral, and Cod :) I blooded my new daiwa outfit and also got a first Golden Trev and to my standards, a good one at that :P

I strongly recommend Bargy as a guide. He knows his stuff. Felt like I am fishing with a friend.

post-9434-1445987285_thumb.jpg

Tight lines,

Coen

post-9434-144598728511_thumb.jpg

Great report there that rod on the golden trevally vid must be a beaut the way it was bent over at the start would have snapped my gear for sure . I went out with the brother inlaw a while back chasing tuna and macs and ended up catching a smallish marlin it certainly is a great area up there.

It is during the cooler months they come in to local secret spots where they recon they warm themselves up before heading of to feed. We actually saw a couple of larger ones in about 8 ft of water when the marlin realised we were there they lit up and took of. My brother inlaw has sight cast fly gear on them and landed a couple that way.

Archived