Quick crabbing session on Friday RDO

tradie

Yea it beats coming home with nothing! Its getting to the point where you really need to just sit next to your pots at all times to protect them. Pretty simple dont lift other peoples pots go buy your own and if you want more than 4 pots go make some friends and take them out so you can have more pots on board

Adam

While I was lifting my pots I noticed this boat at full flight heading in my direction, I could only hope it was one of the other owners. Turns out it was this pro crabber in a cruise craft centre consol. Now I didnt see him lift my pots but he seems to own quite a few of these pots all around mine and god was he rough as guts as he sped from one pot to the next, and I would have no doubt he would have shifty fingers so just a warning to other crabbers beware!!!!

ouquote]

mate thats one of my good mates your talking about their, and he will be pleased to hear this.

he is as straight as a die mate, i work with him abit, and as a matter of fact i was workong with him on sunday and we were actually talking about pots going missing. you lost 1 pot, try loosing 10 pots in 1 day mate, cuase thats what went missing saturday night. he works rain, hail or shine and 7 days a wekk nearly and when you have 50 pots to check, you want to do them as quick as possible, thats why he raced from pot to pot. all pro crabers do this.

currently their i a huge investagation going on due to the fact of pots going missing. the people in question are actually selling them on. on average a pro craber looses 200-300 pots a yr and they average out to be 35-40 bucks each. so this is a min cost lost, 7k in pots min and the down time of that pot not being in the water ect. he said on average 30k a year down after taking all costs out.

so please try and reframe from accusing people when you dont actually no what is going on out their

That is a fair call Kurt.......although I am no pro crabber I am very serious about chasing crabs.I am on the water chasing them and fish at least 3 times a week. I to have lost nine pots over the last two months. Most of the pro's I see out and about work hard, and I have only ever seen them lift there own gear. While there are huge problems out on the water regarding pot theft or farming I personly do not believe professionals to be the problem.

Mate I am stalking my pots now!!! Doesn't make for fun fishing while waiting but it is the only way to keep them intact.

I was out last week and carried a massive spotlight. Had a guy prowling around and lit him up. He took off in a hurry.

Only got two snadies though :-(

Well to your mate then im terribly sorry mad mullet maybe he could spread his pots out a little more there is plenty of river after all. I never said it was him I cant accuse anyone because Im never there when my pots are lifted. Was just frustrating when I turned up to my pots and there are pots inbetween my pots it was a struggle just to get to mine!

Plus good to hear he is one of the honest ones then and I stand corrected.

Any water depth or areas you particularly drop your pots Tradie?

Hey mate I tend to stick to anywhere between 5 to 15m of water and heavy pots as the tides rip through. Some in close to the sides some further depending on my favourite spots. Do you do much crabbing in the river?

Archived