Luggage Point 7-1-2012

Nafe

With my holidays drawing to a close and wanting to get out for one last fish, I had bugged my wife to come for a fish with me the few days before. With our 9 week old boy in tow she gave in and said we would go until he had enough and we would leave, fine by me I said. Thinking we would only be out for an hour max, I had 1 bag of prawns and 4 live worms, got out to Luggage Point an hour before the morning high.

First cast by me and withing 15 seconds in came a nice fat 24cm Bream, thought from the fight it might have gone legal but no go, so back he went, 2nd cast from me and another bream, this time 23cm, 3rd cast and again another bream around 21/22cm. Pretty happy that I was catching something at least, the boy started crying and I thought we were going to pull up stumps, then my wife said "Ill put him in the baby sling device" Awesome!!

So I put a prawn and worm on her hook, cast out for her, cast mine, then heard ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ and her go "holy shit", her Gary Howard was bending hard with 10lb being ripped from the daiwa, I quickly wound mine in and ran over. She kept it nice and tight, all the while our son fast asleep on her chest haha. I almost called for a ray, but kept it quiet, I tightened the drag and hoped for the best and she only had a 1/0 long shank on it and 10lb leader. As she got it close i grabbed the line to help her get whatever it was over the bank, "oh shit its a flattie". As I got it onto safe ground it had swallowed the hook and about 10cm of leader and had bitten through it, so very lucky. Got it on the measure and it went 54cm!!! So happy for her.

We moved up abit further as the bite went quiet. She was pretty keen to stay out now she had finally caught a quality fish. A few casts and a few small bream and whiting, I was onto what felt like another good fish, in between 2 trees I thought this could turn bad, felt like a bream, saw the tree and it headed straight into the snag, so in the water and into the tree I go to get this fish out, hoping it was size after the 5 or so minutes I spent getting it out. Got to the front and out it popped, on the measure it went 25cm so for my efforts it came home. So we had a nice lizard and nice bream in the esky.

Decided to cast in between the trees again just hoping for a bigger bream when 6lb braid started tearing off my little sienna, upped the drag abit more and saw it heading straight back into the same tree as the previous bream, upped the drag more and saw something bigger then my bream, and in came another lizard, this one going 46cm. I was super happy, 2 nice lizards and a nice bream for dinner. My wife then hooked what seemed like another big lizard which she was struggling with and took her into a snag, she was devastated as was I, judging by the weight of the fight it felt easily 70cm +. Totally gutted.

Overall after being there from around 7:30am untill 12 noon, I had caught 10 bream ranging from 15cm to 25cm, 1 flathead at 46cm, my wife got her 54cm flathead, a small bream and a small whiting, my 5y/o nephew who's family popped down caught around 4 or 5 small bream and whiting and his mum caught around 4 or 5 small bream and whiting aswell. Was awesome that my son's first fishing trip resulted in my wife's best ever fish so far.

lizards.jpg

Archived