Boating for first time solo

aussiediva

Hey all .... I have done all the things to prepare for my first solo in a boat ... including the marine safety book and class ... i wont be going far just in the passage on bribie island ... Im wanting to know if there is anything else i need to do before i go on the water ... And i have a life jacket as well ,,,, Any help on this would be great ...

Thank You

Aussiediva

Make sure you have all the safety equipment in the book for smooth waters, a life jacket and V sheet, as well as oars, anchor, a torch, bucket for bailing water and lighting if you think you will be out in the dark (not a good idea for your first few trips.

Keep an eye on http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld.asp If the wind is going to be above 15knots, I would give it a miss for your first trip. It makes i t a bit more difficult to launch/retrieve the boat and learning to handle. Even the passage can get pretty choppy, especially in a strong southerly wind.

The passage is a good spot to start out, I did most of my boating there in the first year I had my boat. I learnt pretty quickly that the tide really rips through under the bridge. If you are wanting to anchor there, make sure you drop the anchor a long way out from the bridge and let out rope as the current takes you into the bridge. I came pretty close to smashing up on those bridge pylons one day when trying to anchor alone.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing a report of your first fish in the new boat

Thank you very much woody i will be watching the weather very closely ... also a friend has a boat and will follow me for the first hour or so ....And i have that all done straddie 3 people know where im going what time ill be back and tomorrow im going to the Volunteer Marine Rescue Bribie Island to inform them as well and i have a radio

Archived