January Austackle ROTM Roll Over

AFO

.imagine if there's 20 under 45cm flatties caught and 2 over 75cm but none inbetween in the BRC :blink: no eligible fish therefore no winner, though there are 22 fish of that species caught.......tough one allright.

IMO its simple omit the species off the list before the event, theres plenty of other targets.

Someone may have one in your example seeing as the legal limit for Dusky Flathead is 40cm :P(http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3042.htm)

But you make a good point mate :)

Great.... So my favourite eating fish and my most common catch and I don't know the legal size ? Awesome....... I'm an idiot, the amount of trips I've made and gone home with no keepers :blush: I'm clearly not qualified for any further comment.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about all the tiny bass we see in reports all the time and undersized barra from north coast reports? Should all of these posts be deleted as well? I see congratulations awarded aplenty to these posters but somehow it's different to award a few lures as a prize/ thankyou......If someone else catches a barra in the coomera out of season or undersized should he/she keep quiet and pretend it didn't happen or just not take 30 seconds to take a pic?

Unfortunately litigation can go crazy and the powers that be who run AFO in the end are the ones who are going to cop any flak should there be any fallout......it's a shame but that's the reality of a public forum. Personally I reckon Rod deserved rotm but it's not my ass on the line but really the question is where does it end? If all non legal catches are banned from the forum then there's going to be bugger all reports full stop.

BTW I have no problem with the posters or posts I alluded to at the start of this comment and hope you don't mind me using you as an example :)

This discussion has nothing to do with general reports on the forum as it is about what should or should not be allowed to be entered into competitions.

IE: What should be deemed legal or illegal.

I think everyone here agrees that there needs to be much clearer rules and regulations but which platform should be used to make it fair to every competitor and to how things can be run to comply with the law.

I have suggested the option of basing all comps on fisheries law to save any confusion and to make it completely transparent to every one.

Lance

After the flak from Dan Youngs post and also Angus's post about the Noosa Barra the judges came up with a guiding principle which i believe is very clear concise and unambiguous. Perhaps this was not communicated to the Forum adequately but as far as i was concerned that was the way we were to look at reports from that point onwards. Hence my comment that the precedent had been set and i felt i had no option but to vote against Rods report.

The guiding principle was as follows: " if the report contains any activity which is illegal or includes any fish caught out of season then it is not eligible to be considered for the "Report of the Month"

If that was made clear to all before entries were submitted then we would not be having this discussion.

Where was this "Guiding Principal" published?

Stuffed if I saw it anywhere when I lodged the report.

Certainly not mentioned here:

Hey everyone,

In response to a few queries on how these reports will be judged by the judging panel, a list of criteria has been made below:

* Quality Of Writing.

* Quality Of Fish Caught.

* Quality Of Photo's.

* Quality of information in the report.

* Entertainment value.

* Members overall report contribution.

We also do take into account the "Reasons For Nomination" that the voter has listed.

Entry Process: Reports are to be made in the relevant “Fishing Reports†section of the AFO Forum. For example, a report from the Noosa River is to be made in the “North Coast Reports†section and a report from Hinze Dam is to be made in “The Lakes Reports†section. A new Topic has been created under “Competitions†called “Report Of The Month Nominationsâ€. Each month admin will create a thread stating the month and year. If there is a report you would like to nominate for Report Of The Month, please make it in this thread using the following format:

Username:

Date Of Report:

URL Link:

Members can nominate their own reports in this way as we understand some will go to great efforts with their reports to have a shot at the prize provided by Austackle.

Angus

( Admin )

NOW ONLINE

Administrator

Check out our events in our Calendar!

It is all so clear to me now.

I had been wondering last month how a homicidal knife-wielding mud crab had failed to receive a single nomination for ROTM. Then, I pointed myself to this thread and realized that the reason I failed to nominate that report was because it had that stupid illegally caught cod in it!!

Turns out that my id did not want to hurt my ego's feelings, so my id didn't tell my ego that it couldn't nominate it for report of the month because my id had a picture of a cod that had been illegally caught because a crab pot is not technically an approved method of cod capture.

My ego wants my id to know that it would have preferred it was informed up front. Especially considering that my ego wrote the report about a psychopathic knife-wielding mud crab that was terrorizing my wife.

Stupid id.... doesn't it understand that ego trumps rules?

Hope nobody took offence, I'm just taking the piss. But seriously, did anybody not enjoy that report? (Well, other than my wife?) :P:P

But seriously, did anybody not enjoy that report? (Well, other than my wife?) :P:P

We couldn't understand what you were saying. :P:lol:

I'm pretty sure you received some praise within the thread but tbh I had forgotten about the comps.

I have some nice cigars to give you as the prize if you're game :whistle: :sick: :lol:

What about all the tiny bass we see in reports all the time and undersized barra from north coast reports? Should all of these posts be deleted as well? I see congratulations awarded aplenty to these posters but somehow it's different to award a few lures as a prize/ thankyou......If someone else catches a barra in the coomera out of season or undersized should he/she keep quiet and pretend it didn't happen or just not take 30 seconds to take a pic?

Unfortunately litigation can go crazy and the powers that be who run AFO in the end are the ones who are going to cop any flak should there be any fallout......it's a shame but that's the reality of a public forum. Personally I reckon Rod deserved rotm but it's not my ass on the line but really the question is where does it end? If all non legal catches are banned from the forum then there's going to be bugger all reports full stop.

BTW I have no problem with the posters or posts I alluded to at the start of this comment and hope you don't mind me using you as an example :)

This discussion has nothing to do with general reports on the forum as it is about what should or should not be allowed to be entered into competitions.

IE: What should be deemed legal or illegal.

I think everyone here agrees that there needs to be much clearer rules and regulations but which platform should be used to make it fair to every competitor and to how things can be run to comply with the law.

I have suggested the option of basing all comps on fisheries law to save any confusion and to make it completely transparent to every one.

Lance

After the flak from Dan Youngs post and also Angus's post about the Noosa Barra the judges came up with a guiding principle which i believe is very clear concise and unambiguous. Perhaps this was not communicated to the Forum adequately but as far as i was concerned that was the way we were to look at reports from that point onwards. Hence my comment that the precedent had been set and i felt i had no option but to vote against Rods report.

The guiding principle was as follows: " if the report contains any activity which is illegal or includes any fish caught out of season then it is not eligible to be considered for the "Report of the Month"

If that was made clear to all before entries were submitted then we would not be having this discussion.

Hey everyone,

In response to a few queries on how these reports will be judged by the judging panel, a list of criteria has been made below:

* Quality Of Writing.

* Quality Of Fish Caught.

* Quality Of Photo's.

* Quality of information in the report.

* Entertainment value.

* Members overall report contribution.

We also do take into account the "Reasons For Nomination" that the voter has listed.

Entry Process: Reports are to be made in the relevant “Fishing Reports†section of the AFO Forum. For example, a report from the Noosa River is to be made in the “North Coast Reports†section and a report from Hinze Dam is to be made in “The Lakes Reports†section. A new Topic has been created under “Competitions†called “Report Of The Month Nominationsâ€. Each month admin will create a thread stating the month and year. If there is a report you would like to nominate for Report Of The Month, please make it in this thread using the following format:

Username:

Date Of Report:

URL Link:

Members can nominate their own reports in this way as we understand some will go to great efforts with their reports to have a shot at the prize provided by Austackle.

Angus

( Admin )

NOW ONLINE

Administrator

Check out our events in our Calendar!

Technically you are probably right Rod, it appears that this 'guiding principal' was not publicised/known to us. Probably because, I suspect, it became necessary due to circumstances (your report). At the end of the day the powers at be are making a decision (and not an easy one I'm sure) that they think is in the best interests of THEIR site (remember we are all non-paying users/members). So as much as you had every right to be a little 'annoyed' I certainly don't think it's serious enough to remain pi55ed off about. However, I think it's fine to be asking for clarification for future events/competitions.

We need to remember that Agnus, Johnny, etc put alot of effort into this site, have to make decisions that alot of the time affect friends/members they know personally and yet at all times need to do what is right for the site. If this means making a ruling based on a rule/principal that hadn't previously been broadcast, then that's just got to be accepted. As others have said, things need to be kept in perspective as I certainly don't want to see the day come when Angus, Johnny or others pull the pin because of all the negative flak they're copping or we lose sponsors like Mike for the same reason.

Just my two cents.

As has been mentioned previously we do these competitions and most events for the benefit of the community. It takes a lot of time and effort to organise, manage and run these and we do this in our spare time. The AFO site currently has several rules for different activities including the overall site Terms of Use, standard Event Rules and Conditions and then additional individual event and competition rules. Whilst we try to ensure we have rules in place to cover all scenarios, there are always going to be times where laws change, a new situation arises, or something comes up we just hadn't thought of. AFO will be undertaking a review and compilation of the separate rules we have for our overall site, forum, events and competitions. This will be done over the coming weeks and we will ensure the rules are Clear, Concise and Consistent. :)

At the end of the day, with regard to this competition or any other activity run by AFO, our governing rules are our Terms of Use which give AFO the right to make any decision on any activity on this site or any activity we run. We always try to be fair and reasonable in our assessments and judgements and where possible give reasons to explain this.

Archived