mangrove jack advice

binzzy

all the info your after is either available on here or google mate. They have a bag limit and legal size like most fish but when you start to realise how good a sport fish they are and how hard they hard are to actually catch if your lucky enough to hook up you will most likely do what most do and release them to hopefully catch in the future.

Yeah mate they don't taste very nice so your better off throwing them back...

(NOT!!!)

They are a delicious fish, but there are fisho's who have hunted these things for years and still haven't popped their cherries.....
/>http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?138239-Jack-Secrets-for-virgins&highlight=jacks+gecko

I get the feeling your one of "THESE", as far as Jacks are concerned that is, so this should help... A great lesson from a guy called Gecko....

Cheers Vic

Good luck....If you have any other questions.... Read it again, and again, and again...

Jacks are fun to chase. You can have nights were you catch heaps and nights were you catch nothing.

Hot n humid days are the best. Espically when there is a storm predicted at night. I have had most of my luck at afternoon n night. Yesterday was perfect jack weather in brisbane. I couldnt go due to work but my brother n his mates went they got 3 decent jacks at one of our spots.

The minimum size is 35cm n a bag limit of 5. If you get the hang of it, its not that hard bagging out. As vick stated above they great eating fish. I dont realise my legal ones because we love to eat them.

Some people n members strongly believe to realise them as they good sporting fish n they are endangered thats why they realise them.

I choose to think different. They good sporting fish but theres alot of jacks in some of the Rivers around the coast. Just have to be right place right time.

Resisdent jacks are the most exiciting to catch. I have hooked on to some monstors this year which have bricked me on 50 lb braid 80 lb trace. For me they easily over 70cm.

My favourite lures are the greedy gutts, rapala chubbys n good old gold bomber.

At night i prefer using slabs of fresh mullet or big live herring unweighted. Cast them at snags or rocks n hold on.

If you win the first 10 seconds n get them out of snag the fish is yours.

I hope this helps mate.

Jack fishing is fun and alot of people do it.

Btw if you do get into jacks keep the spot close to your self because you will catch a jack again because they territorial.

Shane

They are one of the best eating fish around and are very common in qld don't feel guilty keeping what you need for a feed within bag limits you won't regret it mmmmmmmmm very tastey. Rock walls and fallen timber are good places to start and like Shane says the warmer months on hot days are the go i like small live bait or slabs of fresh mullet fillet or pilchards for bait.

Hey mate Definatly read that ausfish article very good read.

Mate Ive been filming since August chasing jack on lures with a heap

of great fisherman biggest tip I could give you is put the time on the water

They can be elusive but when you get onto them you'll love it.

Only thing I can add is that they are thought to breed offshore between the ages of 4 to 8 years

and can reach an age of 35years . I have gone through countless articles reasearching for Jack information

and although you can find heaps of ways to catch them not alot is known about the species.

Mate my dvd is due out very soon if your after some handy tips let me know ill get a copy to you

cheers andrew

haha alright sweet as well i got a 55 cm 2.5kilo jack tuesday morning most amazing fish i have ever caught and ate

Great fish.

Each to their own as far as killing them goes, I cant do it. I have so much respect for these fish and their fighting abilities I just have to put them back to catch another day.

I guess it is the true essence of sport fishing, spending countless hours chasing a certain fish, only to hold it for a photo and release. Its not for everyone though.

Only thing I can add is that they are thought to breed offshore between the ages of 4 to 8 years

and can reach an age of 35years . I have gone through countless articles reasearching for Jack information

and although you can find heaps of ways to catch them not alot is known about the species.

A great deal is known about the species. Get a copy of Biology, management and genetic stock structure of Mangrove Jack (Lutjanus argentimaculatus) in Australia. Russell et al

www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_17021.htm

Cant wait to read the info from DPI.

Personally I dont believe that Jacks are as territorial as people assume, maybe at times but not for the majority of their life. They certainly are not territorial when they venture out to the reefs.

In September/October and again in March/april they seem to school up in the creeks. These are the months when I've caught double figure catches from Noosa River and Tin Can bay by trolling. Trinity Inlet in Cairns was the same, in one small area(100mtr stretch of river) a dozen jacks could be extracted. Next week they might be in the next feeder creek.

I believe they move around the system depending on bait, water condition and water temp. Nov to Feb they seem to be more dispersed and a single capture is a good session.

Jacks can always be caught, neap tides combined with low light is an excellent time to target them on the surface, Middle of the day they are found in deeper holes. I've caught many at night at high tide on the flats in 40cm of water. Last of the run out and first of the run in with a decent tide is great for snag bashing. Sometimes just when you think you have them nailed they prove you wrong. There is so many recipies for capture that they are hard to predict at times, however can be easy prey at others. Patterns emerge and may work for weeks but in different areas of the river.

In winter after a few hot days they go off for a day or 2 and then shut down again. In summer a few cool days will slow there feeding pattern.

Best session I ever had was the afternoon before Cyclone Larry in Trinity Inlet Cairns, 3 of us fished for 20plus jacks and several Barra nall on poppers in less than a meter of water.

Best bet is to fish hard for them and think outside the square occasionally.

Archived