Palm Beach area - where are the yabbies?

kmcrosby78

Hi all,

Just chasing some info on Tallebudgera & Currumbin Creek and nearby places - can anyone let me know where I can pump some yabbies. I'm staying near the mouth of Talledbudgera - are there any in there? Hoping to spin off the rocks in the morning and then fish for whiting, etc in the arvo each day.

Cheers.

Thanks Mark - just didn't want to take the pump if there weren't any around. Unfortunately not taking the tinny although was very tempting to get out and have a late crack at a mack at Palmie. Will be trying my luck off the rocks at Burleigh Heads - am assuming they normally wouldn't come in that close? Cheers.

Thanks Marty. Got any tips for fishing Talley? Do they get decent whiting in there? I think I've heard/read in the past that good flathead are caught there and also jacks so should keep me busy.

been a while since I`ve fished there,but when I used to go down there for footy camps and conferences(I always threw a rod in the car for evening relaxation times) I would wander over to where the swimming enclosure is/was? there was always good whiting around and in the enclosure area. Time of year was Feb/March

Thanks everyone for their input/information. To me, the replies in this post remind me why this website is so great - people willing to give detailed information to help someone get to know/plan for an area they otherwise have no idea about. Of course, I still need to go out and catch them, but I feel like I've got a blueprint for success simply by asking the question. Will definitely be chasing a jack at night near the enclosure, will definitely have a crack at the whiting and am hopeful of some decent tailor (or even better a jew) off the rocks.

Hopefully an interesting report will become of this.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Oh, and Ross, let me tell you if I am VERY, VERY tempted to take the tinny but have decided, with my 4 month old boy, that I'll do the family thing and go for quick sessions by foot early morning and hopefully late arvo (or otherwise during the day while mum and bub are having a nap). I'll just hope the macks aren't on the bite on the reef while I'm there!!!!!!!!

• 8 years later...
1 hour ago, Junglist said:

What about Currumbin Creek? Where's the spot?

Hey Junglist

I can't help you from direct experience but here are some links I found that may give you a hand - 

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-85407.html

http://catchmore.fish/Articles/Display/8908-Rivers-Rev-Up-for-Summer

https://www.nuggetoutdoors.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=25977.0

Cheers Hamish 🙂