can you install a MirageDrive system on any kayak?

doss

How good are you at welding plastic? The mirage drive system itself is quite expensive and by the time you have the hull of your chosen kayak cut and welded to suit the mirage drive mounts you would have been better off purchasing a second hand hobie.

yeah i've notice that about $550 3 weeks of work at good old maccas ;), not bad with metal never tried plastic but im sure my dad could, i'm going to buy a cobra profisherman.

Are you buying the one advertised on the site? If you are buying new then just look for a second hand hobie, you can get them for about the 1800 mark.

Yeah mate, i was thinking of striping the rudder kit of and put a Mirage Drive on it instead thats why i put the post up to see if i could do it

I'm sure someone with a little more engineering background could help, but I'm sure it'd be a a little bit more work that just cutting out a slot and welding some sides on.

Other kayaks would have relatively thin bit of plastic in that region as they usually aren't expected to withstand the same effort and forces the Mirage Drive would provide.

I'm sure the hobies are moulded rather thick all around there to cope with the stresses placed on the hull.

Better of just getting a hobie.

Besides, I think the Mirage is $300-500 anyway isn't it?

I'm sure someone with a little more engineering background could help, but I'm sure it'd be a a little bit more work that just cutting out a slot and welding some sides on.

Other kayaks would have relatively thin bit of plastic in that region as they usually aren't expected to withstand the same effort and forces the Mirage Drive would provide.

I'm sure the hobies are moulded rather thick all around there to cope with the stresses placed on the hull.

Better of just getting a hobie.

Besides, I think the Mirage is $300-500 anyway isn't it?

yeah that sounds right, http://www.nextag.com/hobie-mirage-drive/stores-html it says 540 for the turbo and 505 for the standard

Yeah the hobies have thicker or reinforced plastic to handle it so it would be better to not cut holes in a perfectly good kayak......................... But :cheer: I have just had a look at the kayak and my god does it look like the perfect candidate to cut up, have a look at the footwell it's almost made for it B) still not recommending it to you though.

And how much for a freight forwarder to get it delivered to Oz? as that site only delivers within the USA and taxes on top for export. Locally they are around the $700-800 range from Hobie.

You would have to find a broken hobie to cut the slot out of anyway and then hope the profile of the hole was somewhere near similar to your hull. And you would have to modify the rudder system as paddle yaks have foot controlled rudders and the hobies are hand control.

A few more weeks at Macca's me thinks and gets a hobie or Native Watercraft the latter even goes in reverse, unlike the Hobie

I see a whole new world of kayak pimping opening up ;)

In all seriousness though, most hulls would not have the structural strength to go cutting holes that big through the kayak. You'd most definitely void any warranty. There's also the design aspect that kayaks are designed to have your feet stationary or steering with mild foot movements. To introduce a pedaling movement, you may introduce discomfort as the seating position may be quite different.

You'd be far better off just saving up for a Hobie if you want pedals.

I think the issue there Mark was in some of the older kayaks - Perhaps I have just had my head in the sand, but I haven't heard of too many issues with the newer hulls.

But it does go ot show that if someone was to go to the effort of modifying a hull, there would have to be a fair bit of reinforcing and other modifications going on.

By the time you were finished, you would probably just wish you bought a hobie B)

Hobie can't even make there own yaks strong enough around the mirage drive as a good percentage of them seem to crack in that area and leak water into the Hull.

Cheers

Mark

my first hobie hull was 5 years and alot of km old when it developed a crack and even though it was well and truly out of warranty they looked after me spectacularly. Research and development of them has come a long way in the last 8 years and you don't hear about problems like that anymore

Archived