Bow Riders not so good for bars?

Nitris

Fishing off my jetty this arvo at Caloundra I could see a bit of a commotion happening at the bar. The life savers and coast guard were there for ages. Not too long before dark they start to come back to the boat ramp at the coast guard. The life savers rubber ducky was towing a small boat, I'm guessing they had a motor problem as the boat was above water.

Not long after that the coast guard comes past my jetty dragging a bow rider which only had the tip of the bow sticking outta the water. I'm not sure what they ended up doing with it but I didn't see anyone drag it outta the water onto a ramp. Not long after that a fair bit of floating debris started to come back in as the tide turned, esky lids and life jackets etc.

Anyone else see this today?

post-3112-144598791726_thumb.jpg

post-3112-144598791738_thumb.jpg

post-3112-144598791746_thumb.jpg

post-3112-144598791753_thumb.jpg

Bummer I missed the action I am just around the corner at golden beach and left about an hour ago? Seen a jet ski sink today so that made my day ;-)

Yeh Ur a lucky man, always great to see a sunken jetski B) dirty ski lice

yeah mate, we were up there too. a ski bought a guy in with a couple of decent cuts to the head who's 16 ft tinny came undone crossing the bar so him and his 3 passengers went for a swim, the Debris would have been whatever he had on board that floats. then there was a cat that got himself stuck on the sandbank on his way back in about 20 minutes later, no injuries or gear lost on that one, the coast guard and lifesavers managed to get that one refloated ok.

overheard the head lifesaver down there telling the ambo that there had been 3 capsized boats in the last 3 hours, 1 heading out and 2 coming in, plus the one that beached itself mid way through. also noticed that there is a bouy making what they said was a 2.5m tinny upside down in the passage as well.

eventful weekend up there

2.5m to 3m swells i love my offshore fishing and have a reasonbly large boat but i wouldn't go any where near a bar this weekend has any of these clowns been watching the weather reports its just irresponsible as then some has to risk there lives to save them

2.5m to 3m swells i love my offshore fishing and have a reasonbly large boat but i wouldn't go any where near a bar this weekend has any of these clowns been watching the weather reports its just irresponsible as then some has to risk there lives to save them
Agreed. Idiots. They should pay for the full expense of the rescue.not sure what they plan to do when they cross the bar in 3m swells anyways, it would take ages to cover a few kms.

Agreed. Idiots. They should pay for the full expense of the rescue.not sure what they plan to do when they cross the bar in 3m swells anyways, it would take ages to cover a few kms.

Sounds like a perfect day for the kayaks. Low wind, big swells = a lot of water with not many stink boats. Perfect day out on the water for the yaks!

3 boats in 3 hours though is crazy though! What was the tide like? Must have been fairly low?

Sounds like a perfect day for the kayaks. Low wind, big swells = a lot of water with not many stink boats. Perfect day out on the water for the yaks!

3 boats in 3 hours though is crazy though! What was the tide like? Must have been fairly low?

It was the last of the run out tide Terry of what I saw, It was a low of 0.1m

It was the last of the run out tide Terry of what I saw, It was a low of 0.1m

Wow it doesn't get much lower than that! (10cm to be exact - cheers cpt obvious!) Makes sense to me. You'd probably be able to walk over most of that bar without getting your shorts wet (ignoring waves of course). You'd want to make sure you are right on the back of a wave coming in and sticking to that channel!

that boat must have been left at that boat ramp on the other side of that caravan park next to the coast guard's boat ramp, cus there is a flat bed truck and a crane arm on the back of the truck lifting it up outta the water now.

Think I might yak out to the mouth this arvo and setup on Bribie and watch what happens this arvo.

classic.. I fished my jetty this morning.. I saw ur boat too. was not sure it was u but after looking at ur avatar im sure of it. I caught a pike and a stingray this morning. didnt end up going out on the yak this arvo as the bar was way calm compared to yesterday and most ppl had gone home. I just got back in after a sundown session.

Threw poppers, not a hit. I was watching gar about a foot long jumping out of the water 3 to 4 times getting away from something. Got some herring in the cast net. Put one out with 20lb leader and after about 10min i saw my herring jump outta the water and then the rod stared to load up.. I lifted it and all of a sudden there was nothing. Wound it in and was clean bitten off and leader was peeled. I'm guessing i got sharked. I ran back up to my unit got some shark traces.. cast out another herring.. and nothing,,, bastard sharks.. that has happend a few times of late.

Cracker of a day though either way, hardly any wind and sun sun sun...

Archived