Fingal heads

natang

Hey guys,

I am currently staying at Fingal heads caravan park unril Friday morning and have been fishing the last two afternoons on the beach for a few hours each time ( when I can get away from the wife and baby ) anywasy I am relatively new to beach fishing but am coming up with donuts everytime. Everyone else on the beach is catching nothing as well. Does anyone know this area much? Is it just fished out? There was some pro fisher guys in a boat and drag net getting mullet this morning off the beach in the gutters and a few tailor were coming in with the mullet.

I am not after anyones spots just a few pointers. I am using both metal slugs and pilchards or worms. Using a 13ft with alvey for bait and a 10ft with spin reel for slugs. Fishing run in about 2 hours before high tide and I think I am in gutters.

Cheers

They're either there or there not I guess and the netter wont be helping things.

Other things to try -

Try looking for some frothiness on the water. Tailor like to get underneath it.

Try finding the gutter exit and feed your bait out with the rip.

Look for any structure out in the water.

Other than that what you're doing sounds right.

I do not know Fingal at all.

I fished in front of that caravan park (just to the left of the big tree that had fallen down on the corner if it is still there?) and got some tailor both mornings (from sunrise til about 8:30am). Not sure what hours you have been fishing in the afternoons but try to fish the dusk/dawn periods. I caught mine on pillies.

If that fails (possible if the netter has cleaned up) try either of the following:

1. Fish to the left of Fingal Head itself. There are rocks all through there so the netters I wouldn't imagine would be doing that area. You can still fish gutters there, just means you might lose a few rigs due to snags.

2. Fish off the rocks at Fingal Heads. Never done if myself but have read reports from there (search Mullet Musketeers reports, they are great).

3. Fish to the right (south) of Fingal Head (same reasons as point 1.

4. If you can be bothered, a mate of mine says he does well walking down and fishing right beside the sand pumping jetty near the Tweed Mouth. Bit of a walk though.

Good luck. I hope the netters haven't cleaned out too many.

Archived